Thread: 5 ways to use Gmail effectively & more efficiently

5 ways to use Gmail effectively & more efficiently

Gmail is without doubt one of the best Web 2.0 services of all time and its extreme flexibility makes it something unique that goes beyond simple web-client e-mail.

A confirmation of this, here's a nice list with five ways to use Gmail in an alternative way:
    1. Use Gmail to record important things
      Installing the Google Toolbar, in the context menu of your browser, you will see an option by which "send the selected items to Gmail."

2. Use Gmail to receive news from Twitter
      Go to your profile of Twitter, click the "Take Twitter with you ..." and enter your address of GTalk (and thus Gmail) in space "Instant Messenger". At this point, at the bottom of the page to Gmail, select the "standard with chat."

3. Save bookmarks in Gmail
      Go to Yahoo! Alerts, put the address of the RSS feeds of your profile on del.icio.us in "Enter the URL for a Web site's RSS feed", and as e-mail (at the bottom of the page) enter your Gmail.

4. Manage the list of things to do in Gmail
      Using Google Calendar and integrate it into Gmail through userscript (to use the Firefox extension Greasemonkey).

5. Blogging from Gmail
      Just use IMfied.

Re: 5 ways to use Gmail effectively & more efficiently

Certainly gmail is the best (in my opinion) "operator" of mail in absolute. But you know something instead of multiple chat in gmail? A few weeks ago I read that some people had the chance to get it. I tried to apply that in my account but I still can handle only single chat

Gmail is good but has a serious defect, does not allow sending / receiving files with .exe extension.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninBlade View Post
    Gmail is good but has a serious defect, does not allow sending / receiving files with .exe extension.
    That is not a big problem. The solution for that is simple. Just zip the file and then you can send it through Gmail

Quote Originally Posted by RoninBlade View Post
    And sometimes gmail is a bit too lazy with mail query .. or at least gave me some problems in the past, but otherwise, it is very good.

I also love gmail and I agree that the searches are sometimes a little too fussy. Especially if you search and want to set the sender, is not the usual auto-complete PALE BLUE! For the rest is better.

PS: But I'm not into gmail, use only to read mail and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by SpearMan View Post
    That is not a big problem. The solution for that is simple. Just zip the file and then you can send it through Gmail
    Gmail does not accept .exe files. Even if sent in a zipped (. Zip,. Tar,. Tgz,. Taz,. Z,. Gz).

Incidentally, I also tried encrypting psw and entering a make or a series of "Chinese boxes" of files zip or rar but will also refuse them forever!

Yes, it is the only system that works but is cumbersome and should be explained to the recipients email.