Thread: Contact list is full in Hotmail

Contact list is full in Hotmail

Hi, am in need of some urgent help from you all. I am a Hotmail user since a long time and had never got any problem with the same. But from yesterday, it is not allowing me to add contacts any more. Whenever i try to do so , it gives me an error message stating "We couldn't add this address because your contact list is too full, please remove someone from your contact list".

This is the account that i use for me professional purpose and is necessary to add some contacts. Please help me out to fix this problem. Why is it happening so?

Re: Contact list is full in Hotmail

There is some limit of the contact list like all other email clients. You can have maximum of 1250 contacts including both of Hotmail and Messenger Contacts. Same in Messenger, you can have up to 1500 contacts. So, i guess your contact list may be full. You'll need to delete some contacts to add more.. You can also use a tool named Contact List Clean-Up to delete the unused contacts from a long time. BTW, how many contacts do yo have on your list ?

Thanks for quick help Trio. But i dont think that is the problem in my case. I have around 480 contacts in my Hotmail and same for messenger. That means i have the maximum of 1000 contacts as the sum of both. Than how my contact list could be full ? Even though i delete more than 10 contacts, i still have that error message.

Please help.

I am facing this problem from a long time, mate. Unfortunately there is no solution for this error message. I had also contacted to the Windows live Help center for the same but still no fix from their side as well. According to the explanation in the help and support center, it's a service issue, not an actual problem the end user can fix. All I can put forward is just leave it for few days and see if it sorts itself out.

If there is an error message with just 480 contacts than there is an possibility that your profile may be messed up. Sometimes help and support center can fix it and sometimes they can't. I’ll suggest you to wait for couple of days or try to delete some more contacts and than add new contacts. But first deleting the contacts, don’t forget to take the backup of the list.

Yes I have a similar problem. I have only 58 in my contact list. Whenever I try to add another contact, I click 'save', and nothing happens! I'm no tech y and can't work it out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpipe View Post
    Yes I have a similar problem. I have only 58 in my contact list. Whenever I try to add another contact, I click 'save', and nothing happens! I'm no tech y and can't work it out. Any help would be much appreciated.
    I think that it is a server side error which will fade away after some time. This problem has been experienced quite a few times in the past by many users, it's normally related to strange server bugs, just give it a few days and you should be able to add the contact normally again, or try asking them to add you. Hope that helps