Thread: How Mozilla uses gecko ?

How Mozilla uses gecko ?

Hi all, I am new comer in IT industry. I am quit interested in the working of browsers and search engines. How do they work and how to increase their performance. This all i can find out on my own. For now i would like to know that how does this gecko works and how mozilla uses the gecko ?

What is gecko ?

Gecko is a browser engine designed to support some internet standards such as HTML 4, CSS 1/2, the W3C DOM, XML, JavaScript. Gecko is used in the many browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, SeaMonkey, Camino, Internet Explorer 8 etc. Still gecko is under development at mozilla.org. Initially it was named as Raptor and NGLayout.

Mozilla uses gecko.

Gecko is lies from the core of Mozilla and Firefox browsers, as well as other browsers, by powering all of the single components. Even the display of the mozilla.com portal site has been powered by Gecko technologies, which includes delivery of more exciting content and services as soon as possible. It will always be the gecko behind the faster and valuable performance of Mozilla.

How other browser uses gecko.

All the organizations and companies other then Mozilla uses the gecko so easily just because it is small, lightweight, and open source. Many programmers do have wish that they can add web browsing feature to their application but do not want to develop the whole software on their own. For adding the browsing feature to any software can use gecko as a back bone of their browsing functionality.

Why gecko was built.

Initially when Mozilla Browser(Netscape Navigator) was released as Navigator 1.0, then it was built by the small team. But then they felt need of some having the basic functionality to browse through the world wide web. And they were successful to make the next version of their web browser. They were needing the good layout engine by which they can make new and new generation products.

Gecko is different from web browser.

Basically Gecko is providing the foundation to display content on the screen which includes layout engine and a complementary set of browser components. However this all the components are not packaged by the gecko along with other interface modules in user friendly application such as Mozilla Firefox.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain