Thread: Mac Messenger 8 Does have Video Support

Mac Messenger 8 Does have Video Support

From time to time, even in science, we see small miracles. They often against the taste of something you really waiting for, and this is the case of Mac Messenger 8. Why wait? Because this future version, currently in development, brings with it support webcams on Mac.

Yes, with its eighth version, in 2009, Microsoft offers the incredible support of the iSight on all the Mac. A beta version of Mac Messenger 8 has apparently escaped from the laboratories of Mac Business Unit, and several budding testers have already noticed that the video worked. And not only it does between two Mac, but also between a Mac and a PC, which is obviously more interesting.

It took effect in many years to bridge the gap of video between PC and Mac, the tools available in a camp is not necessarily present in the other. Skype is still the exception, but only confirms the rule, unfortunately. Mac users often use iChat, which is there for this, but with all the others who are Windows, there was no solution.

After the release of Mac Messenger 7 and no visible again, the support of the video, Microsoft had promised that work would be done in this regard. A new protocol was established, and the editor had indicated that it would form the basis for the future. This is clearly the case in version 8, but it does at this time to the PC with the 2009 version of Windows Live Messenger.

The beta was released that is clearly very unstable and was never designed for a public test. As internal working version, it contains no guardrail. Obviously it does not save the settings, even very simple choices such as the selection of the avatar.

In broad terms, the interface has not changed, except of course the inclusion of some additions on the video. Note the buttons and "Call" (Call) and "Video":

The icon in the Dock has finally decided to display the number of messages waiting, as do iChat or Adium, a multi-protocol client that Mac users are often used in place of Mac Messenger.

A beta version should be available later this year for the public, but it is unclear when exactly
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

Re: Mac Messenger 8 Does have Video Support

Hello , But I Have Read that it seems that the final version is Intel Only,The latest beta builds of Messenger 8 are said to have dropped all references to PowerPC architecture, making the app unusable by even G5-based Mac desktops. Exact reasons are unknown, but Intel hardware may be necessary to exploit the app's audio and video chat capabilities.

The great leap forward will be the multicast video. And I feel that Skype will draw first.No way to install Microsoft signed a joke on my mac: it's horribly ugly, and I still stay on Adium.Even with the video, Adium is and will remain the best chat client on the Mac, even if it does not (yet) the video.

Good for it I will finally be able to give my opinion, before installation you have to right click on the package, read the information and uncheck all languages except English, then put it in the apps folder. At first start messenger 8 Has an assistant asking for your Hotmail the All functions of Messenger 7 is common on this point moving forward Very quickly there is the appearance of two new icons: one for video and one for audio. First test to a windows user with the Windows Live Messenger 2008, the video does not work and the audio works only one way, the user hears his corresponds mac but not vice versa. To really use the video you must have the 2009 version of Windows Live Messenger, then it becomes simply "a dream" for several years old which means centuries for Mac user. The video is perfectly functional, the image quality remains poor even with a webcam as a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 on a Mac Pro with Intel processor. In short there is not that the iSight is recognized in the conversation window preview is putting in place of your avatar in the drawer. the sound is still low and the video is displayed in plain view a function not present in its Windows cousin.