Thread: Unable to Send Email in Netscape, Prompted for Password?

Unable to Send Email in Netscape, Prompted for Password?

Hello,

when attempting a mail with photo to send, I received the prompt for a password. The comic is that such a thing has never happened before and that I knowingly, at least nothing to the settings had changed. What is the reason, and - importantly - what can I do? The Netscape version is 4.51 and has - as I said - until now always works perfectly. A newer, I can not use it as my online broker warns against newer versions (compatibility with its own programs).

Re: Unable to Send Email, Prompted for Password?

Hi,

Checked with your ISP to see if they have had any problems lately? The fact that you have the same problem with both your Desktop and your Laptap, would make one suspicious of the ISP.

Happen at any mail or only for those with picture? Or only in a single mail and now no more? Could it be that your provider has made a change?

Just because your provider is too lazy to migrate to new versions, you should not the old insecure versions continue. Especially the versions less than 4.7 have a lot of mistakes. Since version 4.51 it has been many new versions. Meanwhile, we arrived at 4.77.

In addition I am also wondering why a new version problems with the provider should make. There could be no more than that the websites of the provider no longer exploit the vulnerabilities can :-)

Only if the latest version 6.01 is used, there are a lot of problems, but this is a new development with many childhood diseases.

More about the vulnerabilities :
    http://www.guninski.com/netscape.html
    http://home.netscape.com/security/notes/

If you believe with the old versions will continue to surf, it is better off JavaScript. But then some websites work and certainly not more.

Hi,

To resolve this issue, you should only have to enter the send password the first time in any session where Netscape is running. If you close and re-open Netscape, the password prompt will return.

To enter an SMTP account name, from the Netscape 4.7 menu bar:

• Select Edit > Preferences
    • Under Mail & Newsgroups click Mail Servers.
    • In the Outgoing mail server user name field, enter your Visionary username (NOTE: not your email name).
    • There is no field for your password, explaining why you must enter it once when sending.
    • Click OK.

To enter an SMTP account name, from Netscape 7.1 Mail & News menu bar:

• Select Edit > Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings.
    • Click Outgoing Server (SMTP).
    • In the Outgoing mail server user name field, enter your Visionary email name.
    • There is no field for your password, explaining why you must enter it once when sending.
    • Click OK.

Hope your problem is solved !!!