Thread: What dev environment to use for a centralized business application

What dev environment to use for a centralized business application

I want to develop an management application for a company using a central server and a database (such as banks). Based on your experiences and new trends, what language of EDI is more suitable? A current trend is to make a web application (PHP if Apache, ASP if IIS) and all client computers will simply open their browser! It seems that it's slower than an application that runs on each client and the server because we will pass a whole page. According to you what should I select C++, Web (the problem with PHP is that it is OPEN, the admin knows the code), Java or Windev?

Re: What dev environment to use for a centralized business application

The big advantage is this: you did not ask a whole box to perform installations. For slowness, to the extent you do not do scientific computing at the server, php can hold things in a better way. Access to databases are relatively effective, especially if you use PEAR or Zend. With regard to transit the entire page, they are technicaly rather simple to put in place to avoid: AJAX (prototype.js note in the corner). This is not a technology problem, it's a design problem. In my opinion, you're going to blow up your development time with C++ or Java and you will find it difficult to change your application (you will have to deploy versions etc...). Nothing prevents you provided to design the look of your application server, so that the server is as a service for thick clients (WebService). The sysadmin knows the code in PHP, unless you go through a tool that makes it unreadable. But why hide it? It's not in my opinion the biggest risk in a network application. For proprietary tools I think it can be a good solution. The problem with these solutions lies in the fact that it is difficult or impossible to develop them yourself.

The web application appears to be the most profitable especially the fact that there is nothing to install on the clients (browsers only), one need only to work on the server.

Let me list you a few flaws:
    - Web interpreted languages are not as fast as compiled languages (C++, etc.)
    - Transit web pages (presentation + data) is heavier than just data, it is true AJAX is an improvement

The big problem with client-server is the time to program gets longer, the version is a nightmare because you have to modify all the applications on all clients. To hide PHP source code, is it possible? I plan to create an interface between Apache and PHP to encode my files. I only fear a conflict with the GNU-GPL because I believe sell.

It is much harder to create a secured Web application. There is nothing that http requests received by the server are from the web page that you had written. The time taken to program for client-server solely depends on your dev skills. And by the way, the versioning problem has nothing to do with technology you use. If you have multiple clients, each has its own server with a copy of the site, you can be sure that when you get out an update, all your customers will not migrate to the new version instantly. Therefore, you must manage multiple versions into production and this is where things start to get complicated. And yes you can hide PHP source code. For example, there are third-party solutions (chargeable, not free) which will allow you to encrypt PHP source. Your PHP scripts are encrypted and must install a special PHP extension in order to read them and execute them.

The only solution that I know is to impose a sync/update with a central authority on a regular basis. It is a system commonly used in video games online, for example. Where it starts asking but the problem is that many companies refuse categorically, and I understand them, let their internal servers communicate with the outside. When they are not squarely on a subnet completely isolated from the outside! The only solution is to impose a contractual obligation migration during an update as this could invalidate the provision of maintenance/guarantee. But it is a double edged sword: the day you magnify on a shift and that you introduce a regression, you can be sure that all clients you fall on the face by calling for penalties for downtime associated to regression.

Ok so I have decided after careful consideration discussed so far that not to get involved in creating a client-server network protocol! But my choice is the application around the web! My concern is safety, so I opt to use https:// SSL anything but I'm still looking how to implement it on Apache. It makes little difference if I understand correctly.

As for the choice of technology I think that we should not forget that: IT is not Art for Art but the tool for the company. It is therefore an economic connotation that should not be overlooked. This should not only be observed during the development stage but also and especially throughout the use of the system in place (safety, maintenance, upgrade, migration, etc.).

To come to the choice, I would note that there is no single truth. It seems essential to me is:

1. Web or not (thin client or heavy): If users are grouped within the same local area network (LAN), the tools for designing applications around the rich and user-friendly interfaces are more numerous, more mature and faster. The solution Windev cited in the first message is one of the best (personal opinion).

2. For a Web development, Using PHP,. NET or JAVA or not using Framework (Struts, Sping, Seam, Play ...). I would say there really being lost and where an entire career before making the choice. No boss will allow such debauchery. I think the answer is to use the environment that dominates the most (economic connotation requires).

To make a choice for the future on which we can form the little experience that I have succeeded and that seems reasonable and which I have not yet reached acceptable professional performance, I remember: JAVA, JSF, SEAM and EJB (to discuss).

3. In terms of IDE : their choice depends on the chosen development environment. where several IDE support the current environment, there look to be the IDE that provides the greatest utility.

Environment cited above (JAVA, JSF, EJB and SEAM), JBoss Eclipse with tools I think is more appropriate. NetBeans JDevelopper environment are possible