1 50.00%
  • Text File

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: Better alternative for data storage for VB.NET application

Better alternative for data storage for VB.NET application

I will explain my project:

I wish to develop a vb.net application that will be able to prohibit the execution of programs on certain time slots. And yet, well I can not boot because there is a crucial point which blocked me: I was unable to store data from my program.

+ I try to do with the XML but the code does not work
    + I try to do with an Access database but I do not understand is all absolutely unpalatable codes found on the Internet
    + I try and managed to write a text file, but then after that to recover a true galley.

These are the values that I need to store:
    * A "table" (it's like we say to a database) for programs that contains for each program:
    - A reference (as a primary key in a table)
    - The name of the program (type 'explorer.exe')
    - A custom name that can identify the user (such as Windows Explorer)
    - The address of the program (type 'c:\windows\explorer.exe')
    - Enable or not the management of the program (Yes or No)

* A table that contains the schedules for each zone:
    - The program schedule which applies (with a reference number)
    - The start date
    - The end date
    - Start time
    - The end time
    - Periodicity (Yes or No if the programming returns every week or not)
    - Days (list days if the periodic programming)

So this view of the values that I want stored, I'd like your opinion on the best way to store my information (Database, XML or other solution that I know can not be)

Basically see to it that I do not want to limit the number of program or the number of hours, I would opt for a database but I'm not on.

And second thing I would like if possible once you have me give you advice on how to use an aid (why not an example) for code for both databases as XML I not leave me.

I work under Visual Studio 2008 Express, as I could understand that for the database there was a method 'code' and a method with an assistant.

Re: Better alternative for data storage for VB.NET application

If you problem is with your data storage, I know how you'll get through to prohibit the execution of a program, because it is MUCH more complex. XML and database are both good approaches. It's not that complicated than it seems. For XML, you can use XmlReader / XmlWriter, or XmlDocument, or the XML serialization

Personally, the advantage of the database is superior because the xml from a database can be imported / exported to almost any format, while in XML, no current format is that which we do not know its duration of life.

Some uses for a database will be adapted for others this will be XML, etc. If there was a single response, other possibilities would be long gone!

Reegan: I not understand your point of view. XML is an open format that does not require specific software layer, it can even be edited by hand without problems. An XML file will still be readable in 50 years, whereas access to your Oracle or SQL Server, you'll have trouble finding the software that goes. So the argument that life seems a little cheesy

I'm not saying that XML is better than the databases in absolute terms, it makes no sense: it serves not just the same thing (although many use it can use one either).

XML is better suited to storing hierarchical data, while databases are more suitable for relational data. XML is more suited to small volumes of data (for conf files, documents ...), databases are more suitable for large volumes (customers, products, orders, invoices ...)