Thread: Help to make a 3D multi-player game like Runescape

Help to make a 3D multi-player game like Runescape

How can I make a game like Runescape of my own? I am not too coder and so would like to have some software or program which will help me to make the game. I would be happy if it could be a multi-user game where characters can interact with each other.

Re: Help to make a 3D multi-player game like Runescape

If you are not a programmer then you would need to scratch your head a lot to make a 3d game especially multi-player. You better start learning how to program before anything else. It'll take a while before you know how to program something like Runescape and another year or so to actually program it.

Start by collecting some programming books about C/C++ and game programming.

Somewhere you'll find something called as a compiler. Even Microsoft now offers free versions of this. Just go to Microsoft.com and search for "visual studio express".

For image and sound creation, you can use GIMP and Audacity. They are both free.

Once you start studying, everything will be simple.

It sounds like you haven't had much experience programming and are aiming for the sky. I do that too sometimes, but I suggest you start simple.

And by the way Runescape was written with Java, and not C/C++. If you wanted to make an online (web browser) game like runescape then learn Java.

For starters, Java isn't quite like HTML. There are no programs that will simply write the code for you. However, I could point you to some useful links.

Where to download a JDK:
    http://java.sun.com/downloads/

A useful online tutorial:
    http://www.particle.kth.se/~lindsey/...courseMap.html

For time, this depends on your current skill level when it comes to game development. Assuming you are quiet knowledgeable, I would say about 5 - 7 years, if you're disciplined. Skills you would need would be texturing, game design, modeling, audio, networking, AI, web content, etc etc.

You could make it by your self, but I'd doubt you'd get finished before you get bored/tired of making it. But before you start anything think about how you will do everything, do you know how to make customizable outfits, do you have network code, can you make click to walk stuff (pathfinding), think of every little thing you want to do and how you will do it before you start doing anything otherwise you will probably fail or have a really hard time doing it. And don't just skip doing something or thinking about it because it's easy, some stuff isn't as easy as it sounds. And then after you have done all that you will probably have to work around a few bugs and all that stuff, so be prepared.

That completely depends on

-Your brain
    -Java knowledge
    -Some kind of 3d graphics app.

Runescape is actually just a big Java app, nothing more nothing less, so go ahead and learn Java. I warn you though, it might take a couple of years to learn all that is necessary for game this big.

You would need to have Flash and/or Java and a compiler for it.

Here is the tutorial:

http://www.learnflash.com/
    http://javalessons.com/

U r all wrong u can get realm crafter demo or real thing which
    Allows u to creat mmorpg games and control the servers ban
    People and u can have up to 500 people per server its realy
    Cool with little to no coding this is how i made a halo wow
    Game
    Another program fps creator can make mmofps game
    Cons only 8people per sever but no coding needed
    Hope this helped
    Peace out

ThumbsUp Re: Help to make a 3D multi-player game like Runescape

well if you do laren java like i did you can do more than a stupid program made by a programmer coz you cant control the game as much as coading it your self it may be a lital harder but its bater than reliying on a program what im trying to say is that you can make up caodes that work bater than reliying on stuped programs that take up space on computer java whas supost to be coaded and it should stay the same you can even bild the best web site making program if you wont once you learn how to do it its just as simpal as using that program your useing and you could add more peple to the 1 server if you wont you can do any thing you inmagin it only took me 4 weeks to laren java and you can to if you try laren about how applets work ferst than lern about java Graphics 3d and repaint(); metoud and get ust to using loats of varibals or what thay call it int yourvaribal; boolean tureOrFules=fulse; and laren about if statmints like ! && > < == than laren how to add sound and laren about Runnable and methud run(){} theres no limations after you can do anything make a paint program make a game that more interactive than the games now days if you make it good but dont wory about bliding an asome game if your lering java when you done than bild one you can even make the users computer download something well there playing theres a easy whay to make an un hackbel game but you wont understand how much more you can do if you dont learn java its up to hooever viwes this when your done bilding your java whatever you compess all the file + picturs ect into one file and that can be ran like a microsoft exe or mak into one file
    Last edited by ßð§Ð=¦[HACK]¦=Чðß; 29-03-2009 at 06:41 AM.

ThumbsUp Re: Help to make a 3D multi-player game like Runescape

Quote Originally Posted by Alexhacker View Post
    U r all wrong u can get realm crafter demo or real thing which
    Allows u to creat mmorpg games and control the servers ban
    People and u can have up to 500 people per server its realy
    Cool with little to no coding this is how i made a halo wow
    Game
    Another program fps creator can make mmofps game
    Cons only 8people per sever but no coding needed
    Hope this helped
    Peace out
    Wow nice BUT HOW DO U GO ON REAL 1

unsure Re: Help to make a 3D multi-player game like Runescape

Quote Originally Posted by ßð§Ð=¦[HACK]¦=Чðß View Post
    well if you do laren java like i did you can do more than a stupid program made by a programmer coz you cant control the game as much as coading it your self it may be a lital harder but its bater than reliying on a program what im trying to say is that you can make up caodes that work bater than reliying on stuped programs that take up space on computer java whas supost to be coaded and it should stay the same you can even bild the best web site making program if you wont once you learn how to do it its just as simpal as using that program your useing and you could add more peple to the 1 server if you wont you can do any thing you inmagin it only took me 4 weeks to laren java and you can to if you try laren about how applets work ferst than lern about java Graphics 3d and repaint(); metoud and get ust to using loats of varibals or what thay call it int yourvaribal; boolean tureOrFules=fulse; and laren about if statmints like ! && > < == than laren how to add sound and laren about Runnable and methud run(){} theres no limations after you can do anything make a paint program make a game that more interactive than the games now days if you make it good but dont wory about bliding an asome game if your lering java when you done than bild one you can even make the users computer download something well there playing theres a easy whay to make an un hackbel game but you wont understand how much more you can do if you dont learn java its up to hooever viwes this when your done bilding your java whatever you compess all the file + picturs ect into one file and that can be ran like a microsoft exe or mak into one file
    Nice but how do U MAKE THE GAME

Hello. I am writing a book about java game development. I already have the first chapters on 2D and 3D multiplayer game creation. You can download the book at:

http://code.google.com/p/lucu/

It has tutorials and source code.

Hope it helps you.

Regards,
    Taksan