Thread: Wanted! Gaming Laptop

Wanted! Gaming Laptop

Gaming Laptop's are improving in quality and hopefully coming down in price.

What system requirements should i look for in purchasing one in order to play flight sims, and first person shooters with good levels of graphics?

Any suggestions much appreciated!!

The same way you'd shop for a gaming laptop, is the way you'd shop for a gaming desktop.

The big three specs are most important - CPU speed, Video Card, Memory

If the laptop is primarily for games, and not as much for portability, you will want to try to find a laptop that doesn't have mobile processor. They are designed to conserve less power and as such, they won't give you as much performance. But non-mobile processors will kill battery life faster.

Get at least 2 gigs of memory and get the fastest available. And then look for a model that has a dedicated graphics card, not shared. Shared graphics memory will leech memory off of your RAM, which will reduce overall performance.

My advice is, unless you absolutely need a laptop as a portable computer and gaming will take second priority, don't get a laptop for gaming. You will notice pretty quickly how it will become obsolete very fast and you will have very few options to upgrade in the future. Primarily the CPU and video card...aka the two most important specs for gaming.

You are going to pay way more for a computer that will last half as long in the gaming world.

What about the Gateway ultra cheap models ?
    P-6831FX ???

dont think that laptop are for gaming, pc are much cheaper then laptop , Manoj.J go with the pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Kol View Post
    What about the Gateway ultra cheap models ?
    P-6831FX ???
    hey thanx for the reply can you tell me the price tag of it & the Description of it that will be help ful ,
    thanx.

Gateway P-6831 FX and p-6860 FX are the premade models by Gateway avaliable on at select outlets... You either have to purchase it online from some retailer or something... or go to Best Buy outlet to get it.

They have 512 mb nvidia 8800GTS cards. 3 gb ram and 250 gb hdd. 17" lappies.
    the processor is pretty slow... as to cut down the cost. They are 1.67 and 1.83 core 2 duo processors respectively. slow wrt other high end gaming lappies.

they cost around $1100 to $1600 depending on the availability and area. No retail price set for them by Gateway... basically the price is the one set by Best Buy.

Turning toward gaming pc

Quote Originally Posted by Mirinda View Post
    dont think that laptop are for gaming, pc are much cheaper then laptop , Manoj.J go with the pc.
    I think i will go with mirinda turning toward the gaming pc i think they wont cost me less then its costing me in laptop & i think they will give more good graphic, controls & more then gaming laptop
    thanx for the reply Mike_Kol

No doubt building a gaming pc would be much cheaper than getting a gaming lappy. You can get better graphics and better gaming experience overall. But for some people laptops are the only options as they would be moving around a lot due to jobs or some other reason. For them, gaming laptop is the only option for gaming. I was going for the same, but last month got a news of my transfer to my hometown. So, basically canceled my laptop dreams to get a good PC with the latest graphics card.