Thread: Is CyanogenMod 10.1 supported by Xperia Z

Is CyanogenMod 10.1 supported by Xperia Z

I am having a Xperia Z and happy with its performance and its waterproof technology allowing us to use the phone in rain without any worry. But i am fed up of its same UI and features. I mean, there are several phones already received Android 4.2 update including the one from Micromax, but still there are only news and leaks images for Xperia Z running 4.2. As i also have few other Android devices which were running on ICS and 4.1 Jellybean, i updated them successfully to Android 4.2 using the Custom Rom CyanogenMod.

I was thinking to do the same on Xperia Z as well. I know this will avoid my warranty but still i would like to go with the same if it is available for this model. I tried searching for the same but not sure if it is compatible with Xperia Z. So can anyone of you guys please tell me if there is any CyanogenMod 10 mod for my handset? Help appreciated.

Re: Is CyanogenMod 10.1 supported by Xperia Z

Dude there is huge difference between those low budget smartphone and Xperia Z, and i hope you know it hence you chose Xperia over Micromax So dont compare it with them. They just have to release the update but brands like Sony or Samsung brings several new stuffs with each Firmware update. Hence they need some time. As far as CyanogenMod is concerned, yes, There is a mod that brings Android 4.2.2 to Xperia Z. But the only problem is it requires unlocked bootloader. If you do it, means you are messing up with you phone. Still if you wanna install the same, you can go ahead and download the mode from here. Note, install it on your risk.

I don’t think it is good idea for unlocking the bootloader, rooting the phone, installing any Custom ROM on Xperia Z because we are just couple of weeks away from getting the official Andfroid 4.2.2 Update for Xperia. Check the following:

Android 4.2.2 for Sony Xperia Z available

Quote Originally Posted by Ekkalavya View Post
    As i also have few other Android devices which were running on ICS and 4.1 Jellybean, i updated them successfully to Android 4.2 using the Custom Rom CyanogenMod.

I was thinking to do the same on Xperia Z as well.
    Just don’t do it. I have tried CM 10.1 on me Xperia Z and had almost lost the device. When I flashed the Mod for the first time, it got stuck on the boot. Neither was rebooting nor moving ahead of the boot. I wasn’t able to do anything, no keys were working. Finally I got it shutdown anyhow. Did some research and found the stock ROM for “Z”. Downloaded the same (about 750Mb in size), flashed it again and finally got my Xperia boot up properly.

So the conclusion is I wasted the entire day, killed my phone’s warranty and back again to the state where I was earlier, Android 4.1. If you don’t want to go through this situation, just don’t go for any Custom ROM. Simply wait for few more days for the official 4.2 Firmware update as mentioned by Induhasan above.

Even I agree with Laboni. I too tried installing the CyanogenMod 10.1 on my Xperia Z which got installed finally in two attempts. Even though it got installed, there are several stuffs not working at all or not working properly. So just don’t for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Induhasan View Post
    I don’t think it is good idea for unlocking the bootloader, rooting the phone, installing any Custom ROM on Xperia Z because we are just couple of weeks away from getting the official Andfroid 4.2.2 Update for Xperia. Check the following:
    That’s really a great news buddy, I wasn’t aware of the same. Surely I can wait for two weeks if we are about to get the official release.

Thank you all by the way for your personal experiences and suggestions.