Thread: Which audio DAC chip is there in Samsung Galaxy S4?

Which audio DAC chip is there in Samsung Galaxy S4?

I have seen that no one really gives time on DACs since the common people dont even know what they are? But in anycase, does anyone know which Audio DAC Chip is there in Samsung Galaxy S4? I think that if the Wolfson is implemented then it will be good and wont sound too bad at all. Can anyone give me some information about it? Thanks.

Re: Which audio DAC chip is there in Samsung Galaxy S4?

Well, I dont know for sure but I think that the US version with the processor of Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 might have been used for the built-up audio DAC in the Krait SoC. Also, the EU version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 with the Exynos 5 octa processor might be using a different Wolfson Audio DAC for sure.

I have found out that the US version of Galaxy S4 uses the Qualcomm's native audio. There is no support of the Wolfson, which was disclosed on a twitter account. There is very less information about the international version so far yet. The international version could be based similarly on the HTC One device.

Apart from the audio chip used in Galaxy S4, I have some other questions to ask if it is not a problem for anyone. I was wondering how does Galaxy S4 sound like on the loud speaker when playing any music or video? Does it give good quality audio in comparison with other smartphones? I havent used any Samsung mobile phone till now, so I just want to confirm this questions that I am having? Thanks.

Any updates on this topic?

I have the Nokia Lumia 920 and it does not do USB audio (digital audio output). I'm not sure what that means. It obviously has a DAC because it wouldn't be able to play digital files trough the analog headphone output. But does it mean that the chip does not enable a digital output to be accessed and sent t the microUSB? Or is it Windows Phone 8 that doesn't have te functionality to implement that? Strange given that Windows obviously can do it, that MS wouldn't enable that feature.

Anyway, I've contacted Nokia, Microsoft, WP, etc. and no one can (or wants to) give me an answer.

Anyone here know the technical details?

Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MAPden View Post
    Any updates on this topic?

I have the Nokia Lumia 920 and it does not do USB audio (digital audio output). I'm not sure what that means. It obviously has a DAC because it wouldn't be able to play digital files trough the analog headphone output. But does it mean that the chip does not enable a digital output to be accessed and sent t the microUSB? Or is it Windows Phone 8 that doesn't have te functionality to implement that? Strange given that Windows obviously can do it, that MS wouldn't enable that feature.

Anyway, I've contacted Nokia, Microsoft, WP, etc. and no one can (or wants to) give me an answer.

Anyone here know the technical details?

Well, I have heard that Lumia phones dont support usb audio and video but they can show pictures only if they are connected to a TV. There is no plug n play features for music and videos in this phone.