Thread: LG Optimus Elite Proximity sensor is not proper

LG Optimus Elite Proximity sensor is not proper

I own LG Optimus Elite and today I have noticed that the Proximity sensor of the same is not working properly. It happened during a call where I was aware that the screen light will turn off when I will get the phone close to the ear but then after ending the call it did not came up. As far as I am aware the light should come up. When I inspected the same later then I found it to be doing every time after answering a call. I am not very sure but I think that there is something wrong with the Proximity sensor of the phone. I just wanted to know if this is a software bug or a hardware fault?? Any suggestion? Is there anyone who has an idea about this issue??

Re: LG Optimus Elite Proximity sensor is not proper

I am not sure about the same if it is a hardware fault and so as it is still working. I wanted to know if this issue has started appearing suddenly or it was there since the day you had bought the phone?? If it has started suddenly then you can try deleting the recently installed apps or the ones you might have updated. I am not very sure if that would make any difference but then you should try that out to narrow down the cause of the issue if it is from software side. If that’s not making any difference then you will have to proceed further and reset the phone to factory defaults. For that you can follow the below steps:
    • Turn off your phone, press and hold the volume down key along with the power button until the phone turns on. It will get turned on with the android system recovery menu. So here you can use “volume down key” for scrolling to “wipe data/factory reset” option and then press menu button for selecting the same. Now select “yes” click on menu again.
    • When the process gets finished then select “reboot system now” and press menu button. After that the phone will get restored to factory defaults and will boot normally.

I also wanted to add that before trying out the restoring method backup your crucial data from the phone as they will get cleared after the process.

I don’t think that this issue might be because of some application as I have not yet installed or updated any applications by now. It has been just three days since I have bought the phone and it is just having the preinstalled applications. Since I did not had much data in the phone I have restored it to factory default successfully by following the method that you have mentioned but it does not seems to have helped. When I crossed checked the Proximity sensor then I found it to be reacting in the same way, it is still not working properly. I don’t think that this is due to some kind of software bug but it appears as if it is due to some hardware fault. I have checked about the same on the web and have found people having such issues but some of them has mentioned that this is an issue with the software where as some have mentioned that it is due to hardware so I am pretty confused by now. Is there anyone who can help me out?? Since the phone is new I don’t have any problem in getting a replacement for the same but then I don’t have the patience to wait for the replacement and I have kept the same as my last option. If it is due to some kind of software then I will like to know any effective solution for solving it out. Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

I think that there might be some software issue, I think so because as one has already mentioned that your Proximity sensor is working. I mean as you have explained that the screen goes off when you bring the phone close to your ears but is just not coming up when you are moving it way from ears right?? This makes me think that this issue is somewhere on the software side in your case. Anyways I have been looking after people having similar issues on the web and have found some of them mentioning that they were facing exactly the same issue and were able to solve it out by just Calibrating. If you want then you can try out the same and see if it is making any difference. For calibrating you just have to go into Settings>Display Settings>Accelerometer Calibration. Just check out the same and let me know if it is helping.

There are a number of cases for Proximity sensor not working properly throughout the web and like you your self has mentioned that you have come across varying answer for this issue, it is really hard to guess from the same. Anyways I wanted to ask if you have inspected the Proximity sensor. There are possibilities that it might be having some smudge on it?? If you haven’t then check out the same and clean it properly and see if it is making any difference. I also wanted to know that what you do when the light does not come up? Does it come up when you press any button and so?? Are you using screen guard for your mobile? Have you tried checking it out after removing the screen guard? Just check out these things and post back the result that you get so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you with the same.

That was the very first thing that I had checked out, there is no smudge or dust on the sensor. I have cleaned it properly and have inspected the same as well. When the light does not come up I have to reboot the phone, it does not even come up after pressing any button. That’s the thing that is irritating me more. I cant reboot my phone after every call. I was having screen protector but now I have removed the same just to check out the Proximity sensor but it is still responding in the same way??

You seem to have tried out and checked out the possible solution and things that might be causing the issue but as you are still not having any luck with it. I will suggest you to better get your phone checked, you phone might be having a faulty proximity sensor and you will have to get it repaired.