Thread: How to transfer data in Windows 7 without using MS – DOS tools from a laptop to pc?

How to transfer data in Windows 7 without using MS – DOS tools from a laptop to pc?

I have a laptop whose C drive partition is damaged. If I try to format it or even delete the partition, my laptop stops working and it just freezes. I have a lot of important data in D drive and want to retrieve it. I cannot recover the data unless my C drive partition problem is solved or I can find a way to transfer the data from the laptop to my pc. I can access my data which is in D drive by using DOS based tools but I don’t want to access them by DOS and want them in my pc. So, can anyone tell me how I can transfer the data from my laptop to pc?

Re: How to transfer data in Windows 7 without using MS – DOS tools from a laptop to pc?

As your C drive partition is damaged, you cannot access your data in Windows. So, for that you need to establish a Local Area Network (LAN) connection between the laptop and the pc. You can create the connection by attaching both, the laptop and the pc into a hub or router using a cat5 cable (i.e. Ethernet cable). Once the connection is made, you can share all the drives on your laptop by right clicking on the laptop icon and click on share. Then, on your pc, go to the Network Places on your desktop and click on Show Workgroup Computers. There you will find all the drives of your laptop. You can access those drives by clicking on them and dragging and dropping them to the appropriate drive on your desktop pc. Now, you can view all your data which was stored in D drive of your laptop by sharing them to the appropriate drive on your desktop pc and viewing them from there.

Re: How to transfer data in Windows 7 without using MS – DOS tools from a laptop to pc?

If you do not want to connect your laptop and pc through LAN, then you can connect them with the help of a serial cable. You can use a null modem serial cable for this purpose. For this connection to be made possible, both, the laptop and the desktop pc must have an available serial port (called the COM port). To connect both the devices you need a null modem serial port (also called as LapLink serial cable or serial file transfer cable). The serial cable must be long enough to connect both the devices. When the connection is established, you can transfer the data from your laptop to the desktop pc and access the data there.

Another way of connecting your laptop to your desktop pc is through Home network connection. Both, the laptop and the pc should have Wireless Network Interface Cards (WNICs) or a USB network interface installed. Then you can select the drive to b shared on the network (D drive in your case). To share the drive, simply right click on it, select “Sharing and security”, select the “Share” tab. Now you will be able to share that drive from your laptop to your pc and will be able to access it from your pc.