Thread: how to remove hard drive from my Sony Vaio PCG-F650 laptop

how to remove hard drive from my Sony Vaio PCG-F650 laptop

Hi guys I am having a Sony Vaio PCG-F650 laptop with me I know it is a old one. I probably just buy a new laptop but I just don't want to get rid of this one It's there with me from a long time . Please give me your opinion on how can I remove the hard drive of my laptop as I want to add a higher capacity hard drive in it. I use it for school, music, games, and internet. Just want it to be up to date and fast. If anyone knows how to remove hard drive please let me know.

Re: how to remove hard drive from my Sony Vaio PCG-F650 laptop

As you are having a laptop and not a desktop it is a risky job that you remove the hard drive on your own form a laptop it would have been much easier if you were trying it on your desktop because there is not much fitting involved in it but in a laptop it is not so easier there are more screw in it and the data cables if improperly removed can not only damage the cables, but it is possible to damage the components.

Here are the steps of how can you remove the hard disk from your laptop. Do it on your own risk
    1. Remove power supply and remove the battery from the notebook.
    2. Tilt back the LCD to 120 degrees away from you.
    3. Cover the LCD surface to protect the screen.
    4. Remove the screw to the keyboard hood on the left side of the notebook.
    5. Slide the KB hood to the left to undock from the inner Latches and tilt the hood back gently to rest on the covered LCD without removing the power cable and Speaker cables.
    6. a single screw holds the keyboard down above the drive.
    7. Remove the keyboard.
    8. The Hard drive with brackets and Data cable are now exposed and visible in the center of the main board on top and only held down with a few screws.

As I am having a laptop I want to take the files from my laptop to be copied to my desktop and then return the hard drive to my laptop. I have the proper USB/SATA adapter, and i can find online the steps to removing the hard drive and using it as an external drive ,it ok to remove the laptop hard drive, connect it to the desktop via USB/SATA cable, then return the hard drive to the lap top and have everything work fine when i charge up the laptop next time.

I strongly recommend you that you get the hard drive removed from a authorized person because I had done the same mistake of removing the hard drive by myself from my laptop abd when I turned my laptop on I ended up in damaging the hard drive it cost me a lot so let the work be done by a authorized personal as he would be having a good experience in doing it and there might not be any other damage also and the hard drive will still remain in warranty.