Thread: Problem in connecting Edimax EW-7811 to ubuntu

Problem in connecting Edimax EW-7811 to ubuntu

Hello friends, I have a computer at my home with windows xp on it and also I have dell laptop with ubuntu operating system on it. Yesterday I brought a Wireless N USB dongle Edimaxx EW-7811 for the wireless internet connection and when I connected it o the windows computer system it worked pretty well without showing any error. But when I connected it to the laptop that has a ubuntu operating system on it, nothing was happening. So can any one tell me what is this problem about. I have restarted my laptop again and again but I am getting the same problem.

re: Problem in connecting Edimax EW-7811 to ubuntu

Hey I guess your problem is that you are not having the usb driver installed in your laptop for recognizing the usb Edimaxx EW-7811. So I would request you to first check whether the driver is there or not and then download the driver that is required that is supported by he linux operating system. Also, you should check your network manager to see if it detects the adapter that you have connected. If not then it is obvious that the laptop doesn't have the driver to recognize the usb and you have to download it from the web.

Hey when you connect the usb drive to the laptop it wil automatically ask you to carry out the setup to install the software and configures your new Wireless N USB Adapter. you will have to perform the installation process step by step and upon finishing the setup you have save the setup. Also there comes a Wireless Connection Manager that will add and save settings for the networks you frequent most. So if you are not able to get this I think that your usb port is damaged and needs to be replace.

Hey even I am facing the same problem with my D link network adopter which I had purchased yesterday. Although my laptop did recognized the adapter and I was also able to successfully install the process for wireless network connection, but I am not able to connect it to the internet using it. I have even checked by ipcong and it showed that the connection is active but then also I am not able to connect it to the internet. Whenever I start the browser it gives me a message saying could not connect to the server. Please can any one help me sort out this issue. I am very eager to start internet on my laptop using this usb.

Hey if you are not able to connect your D link network adopter then you should try this.
    • Go to Start menu , click Run, type compmgmt.msc in the textbox and then click OK.
    • In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window will appear.
    • On this disk management window, you can see some drives including the portable drive. Right click on your portable drive and click change drive letter and paths.
    • In My Computer you have to assign a new drive letter which is not being used by any of your drives..
    • Once you have assigned the new drive letter your portable drive will show up in my computer with other drives

Also, it is recommended that you call the engineer to let him install the network adopter drive and also run it successfully.

Re: Problem in connecting Edimax EW-7811 to ubuntu

Hey I would like to ask you that which speed plan have you taken up. Usually the D link network adopter has the maximum speed of 150mbit/sec. If you have taken a much higher speed than this your usb will not be able to handle the speed that it is comfortable with. Also much is dependent on your router, distance, and how many antennas it uses. So you have to make yourself clear all the doubts and then come onto a specific conclusion.