Thread: Apple macbook cannot recognize external microphone

Apple macbook cannot recognize external microphone

Friends, I am using the cubase music software. This is running through the Yamaha audiogram 6 interfaces for my Apple Macbook. My problem is that the cubase software is not able to identify the external microphone. I can see that it is taking the midi signal. I searched for this on internet but not got any satisfactory solution for this. Therefore I am leaving this question over here with the hope that I get the proper solution from here. Please help me out friends. On one of the site, I saw that removing the sound card may fix this problem but I have doubt with it. If that is true then please tell me that how can I remove that.
    Last edited by Jitisha; 13-11-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Re: Apple macbook cannot recognize external microphone

I don’t think that removing the sound card may solve this problem because it is nothing but the piece of the logic board so you can not remove it. There is possibility that you have disabled it from the System Preferences. Just check for this and if that is the case then you can enable it again and save the settings so that it will be able to detect the external mic.

I don’t know that whether removing the sound card will help you to solve the problem that you are facing or not. But as you told that you don’t know the way to remove it so I am providing the steps to do that but do that on your own risk. Here are the steps.
    1. Locate your sound card. If you're not certain which card is your sound card, follow the wires from your speakers to the back of the card, and then note which slot that card is in.
    2. Unplug any speaker and microphone cables from the back of the sound card.
    3. If there's a cable inside your computer connecting the sound card to your CD-ROM drive, disconnect it. Many newer computers don't have this cable. If it's not there, you can skip this step.
    4. Remove the screw holding your sound card in place.
    5. Carefully pull the sound card straight out of the slot. Be careful not to twist or bend the card as you remove it.
    6. If you're not installing a new sound card, install a slot cover if you have one, and replace the screw. Then close the computer case and replace any screws you removed when opening the case.

I wish that it will help you.

Hi all, I am using a dell lattitude D505 which has windows XP installed on it. Yesterday I bought the external microphone that is Omidirectional by Radio Shack. When I tried to plugged that in then I found that it did not recognize that. I am not able to understand the reason behind this. I tried this microphone on one of my friends computer and it is working without any problem there. I am thinking to get this back to the dealer but I have fear that if it works there in other computers. I know that this is some problem with the settings in my computer. Please tell that what should I have to do.
    Last edited by Koena; 13-11-2010 at 12:05 PM.

I think that I know the solution for this. Press the start button and go to the Sounds and Audio Devices section from there. This will open a new window with multiple tabs. From there you have to select the Voice tab and check that you have set the microphone as the default device for your computer. If that is not checked then you can select that option and save it.

Hi all, I am also facing the similar problem with my computer and headphone. One of my friends suggested me to remove the sound card from it and from his advice, I did the same but that causes no effect. Now I when I tried to install that card again then it is not getting installed properly. I am wondering that if anyone over here can tell me the standard way to do that. Thank you.

Here are the steps that you have to follow to installed the sound card again if you have removed the card already.
    1. Locate an expansion slot in the computer that will accept your new sound card. If you removed an existing sound card, you can use the same slot if your new card uses the same type of expansion slot. Check your computer's documentation if you need to determine the types of expansion slots it has available.
    2. Gently place the sound card on top of the slot. Line up the pins on the sound card with the slot and push the card down so that it sits in the slot. Be sure that the card is securely in the slot and pushed all the way in. If the pins on the card aren't perfectly aligned with the pins in the expansion slot, the card won't work properly.
    3. If your computer has an audio cable that connects the CD-ROM drive directly to the sound card, locate it and plug it in to the card. Consult the documentation that came with your sound card to determine the location of the CD-ROM audio connector on the card. Note that this cable is rarely necessary with current audio hardware, and in most cases plugging it in is optional.
    4. Screw the sound card to the frame. Don't warp the sound card or the frame while tightening the screw. It's better to tighten the screw barely more than you can tighten it with your fingers than to bend the frame or the card.
    5. Close the computer case and replace any screws you removed when opening the case. Plug your speakers, and microphone if applicable, into your new sound card.
    6. Plug your computer back into its power source and turn it back on. Windows will install the necessary device drivers for your new sound card. If your sound card came with a disc containing software, install that now. Check the information that came with your sound card to see what software installation steps are required.

You should check your audio properties. I think that they may be changed and is the reason behind that. You c an also change the Audio/Microphone Volume. See .the steps below by which you will be able to do that.
    1. First of all click on the start button.
    2. Select all programs.
    3. Click on Accessories and select the Entertainment.
    4. Click on volume control.
    5. From top left corner, you have to select the Options menu.
    6. Select the Properties.
    7. Click the "Recording" radio button.
    8. Press OK.
    9. After that you have to select the slider bar for the volume.