Thread: iTunes error "Duplicate File name was specified"

iTunes error "Duplicate File name was specified"

I have recently chosen some applications on iTunes and I have decided to purchase it. I then started downloading them but it didn't worked. Whenever I tried to download a single application, I get the message that says "Could Not Purchase "app_name". A duplicate File name was specified. There was an error in the Itunes Store. Please Try Again Later." What's the problem? I tried to look for this problem on internet but didn't found any solution. How can I fix this?

Re: iTunes error "Duplicate File name was specified"

It happened to me once a while but I got the solution. It occurred because may be either itunes or Windows Vista Control Panel wanted me to scan and fix the ipod drive as soon as I plug in the ipod to itunes. I didn't went through this procedure and so got this problem. At last did it, scanned my iPod and it solved all those errors. So I would like to say that you should also perform the same operation before purchasing the application from iTunes.

Here is how you can solve the problem of getting "Duplicate File name was specified" message. Basically it happens due to corrupted iTunes. To resolve this problem, on your Windows computer, go to Control Panel - Programs - Programs and Features - Uninstall or Change Program. Right click on iTunes and choose Repair. Once it is completed, go to Computer - Local Disk (C:) - Program Files. Right click on iTunes and choose “Run as Administrator.” Once all this is done, you can retry to purchase the application from iTunes. It should work.

It happens if you have iToner installed on your computer. It is a plug in that affects synchronization of iTunes. To resolve this problem remove it and you shouldn't face this problem any more. Go to ~/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins and /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins and search for the file that says iTonerSupport.bundle. Delete this file and reboot your computer. Now try to sync your device with iTunes and then you should be able to purchase any thing from iTunes with out any problem.

Did you recently upgraded your iTunes ? I think if you have recently installed or upgraded your iTunes then you should have noticed such kind of problem. There may be some kind of bug in your iTunes which is causing you the problem. I suggest to downgrade to previous version and see if that helps. If this isn't the case then I would suggest you to check if you have any file with the same name in your iTunes folder or the place where you are trying to download the software. It can also occur if you have some virus on your computer which is not allowing you to download anything. Scan you computer with a good and up to date antivirus and see if you find any infection.