Thread: Can't format iPod classic

Can't format iPod classic

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my ipod classic, it would not be restored on itunes (error 1430), so I tried to format it because it was FAT32, it was very long or even blocked for formatting, and can long after I unplugged the ipod by mistake.
    Since I try again to format but it does not work.

If I let alone start it reboot constantly and no longer mounts on my desktop. I put it in disk mode to format but nothing to do, says: "Unable to allocate memory". please help.

Re: Can't format iPod classic

Hello,

When you want to solve a problem with your iPod, it is sometimes helpful to manually put it into Disk Mode. To get your iPod into disk mode:

1. Before turning the iPod into disk mode, you must verify it is loaded.
    2. Toggle the Hold switch (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    3. Hold the Menu and Select button pressed for at least 6 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
    4. When the Apple logo appears, immediately press the select button and the Play / Pause and hold them pressed until the Disk Mode screen appears.
    5. Connect the iPod to your computer display on the iPod and change the message "Do not disconnect" appears.

Refer to following threads that can help you to get rid of your issues:

Ipod Reformatting Problem
    ipod error 1439
    Error 1418 : the ipod could not be restored
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Initially:
    • Download the freeware HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
    • Upload the iPod Updater from Apple (or use the one that you should already have, this should work too)
    • Installing HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

Then:

• Unplug the iPod (if connected)
    • Reset the iPod ( "Menu" button + Select button)
    • When the logo "apple" appears, press Select and Play / Pause button to quickly switch to "Disk"
    • Lance HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
    • Format the iPod to FAT (you can also put "IPOD" as the volume name if you like)
    • If an error message appears, verify that the iPod Service is not running in the background (Ctrl + Alt + Delete and Process). Kill the service if necessary to unlock the iPod
    • After formatting, restart the computer or the recovery iPodService
    • Launch the iPod Updater and select the option "Restore" to reset the factory defaults. Once done, a browser window appears with the tree of the iPod (Calendar, Contacts, ...)
    • The iPod should now normally have the bios of the Updater and should be ready to open.

HP USB Disk warns you that it will format your iPod so you're data will be lost. Accepts the format and then using the iPod Updater utility from Apple, you installed the system files on the iPod. Basically it is like putting your iPod output configuration factory.

Good luck

• Disconnect and reconnect your iPod and then attempt to restore.
    • Restart your computer and then attempt to restore your iPod.
    • Disable or Enable Disk Use on your iPod and then attempt to restore.
    • Try connecting your iPod to a different USB port and then attempt to restore.
    • Remove any third-party USB devices you have connected to your computer (it is not necessary to remove your keyboard or mouse).

Source: Apple.com

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Initially:
    • Download the freeware HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
    • Upload the iPod Updater from Apple (or use the one that you should already have, this should work too)
    • Installing HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

Then:

• Unplug the iPod (if connected)
    • Reset the iPod ( "Menu" button + Select button)
    • When the logo "apple" appears, press Select and Play / Pause button to quickly switch to "Disk"
    • Lance HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
    • Format the iPod to FAT (you can also put "IPOD" as the volume name if you like)
    • If an error message appears, verify that the iPod Service is not running in the background (Ctrl + Alt + Delete and Process). Kill the service if necessary to unlock the iPod
    • After formatting, restart the computer or the recovery iPodService
    • Launch the iPod Updater and select the option "Restore" to reset the factory defaults. Once done, a browser window appears with the tree of the iPod (Calendar, Contacts, ...)
    • The iPod should now normally have the bios of the Updater and should be ready to open.

HP USB Disk warns you that it will format your iPod so you're data will be lost. Accepts the format and then using the iPod Updater utility from Apple, you installed the system files on the iPod. Basically it is like putting your iPod output configuration factory.

Good luck
    nice advice but still the HP USB Tool tells me that thw device is write-protected although i stopped all the apple and ipod processes in the task manager. What can be the problem?