Thread: Cant get laptop to boot from CD

Cant get laptop to boot from CD

I'm having a Compaq Presario V5000 laptop. I have installed Avast Anti virus and always have updated it. Once when I decided to format my Laptop as I wanted it for some business purpose, i wasn't able to do it. I had a bootable windows CD but my laptops doesn't seems to boot from the CD.Although the CD-Drive is able read to all other CDs.

Re: Cant get laptop to boot from CD

You might first need to change the booting preferences to boot from CD-Drive. Now next time when you insert the CD in CD-Drive to format, reboot your Laptop. As soon as you see the black screen when you go for reboot there might be a message as "Press F2 to change Booting Preferences" or some like messages.Click the suggested button and go ahead and change the Booting preference to CD-Drive.

Probably your laptop is not set to boot from your CD. You need to change the boot sequence to CDROM. Insert your Operating System CD in your Drive. Now reboot your system. There would be a message some where on the initial screen informing you to press the required key to enter BIOS.The most obvious is Del Key, but you might have to press F11 or F2 in some laptops. From here you can change the booting sequence. You can also refer to the laptop manual that is provided to you.

Next time when you reboot your system from CDDrive first check is there any message displayed at the bottom of the vendor logo screen. Press on the required key to change the booting sequence for your system (eg. Del, F2). Now check whether you see something as "Change Boot Order" (or Sequence). Select your CDROM as the first device.Once done, Save your Settings and let the system reboot.Now it would let you to XP Installation disk.
    Last edited by Snake08; 03-11-2009 at 12:07 AM.