Thread: How to overclock intel core i5 2400

How to overclock intel core i5 2400

I recently bought a new Intel core i5 2400 processor as I was in search in such a processor from which I can get the best and high performance rate. But I am still not satisfied with the performance rate I am getting with i5 processor.

Yesterday one of my friends said that I can still increase the speed and performance of my CPU by overclocking it but like me even he is completely unaware with the concept of overclocking. So now I need your help, can anyone let me the procedure for overclocking my CPU? And is it fine to overclock my new CPU?

Re: How to overclock intel core i5 2400

Take it as an advice or a warning, but I would suggest you not to overclock your CPU as you can’t overclock it much above your expectation. You can raise the BCLK a little bit but not much on intel core i5 2400. If you are really willing to overclock your CPU then why don’t you buy a K model? It will help you a lot in overclocking.

So at last I am at the right place. I already have an Intel core i5 2400 processor and I am trying to overclock it since last 1 week. For this I bought a new coolermaster v8 CPU cooler so that I can overclock my CPU in a more convenient way. My i5 processor is attached to P67A-UD3R gigabyte motherboard. I just wanted to know that how can I overclock manually. Whenever I go into MIT setting in the bios, it says that the BLCK is disabled but as per my knowledge the BLCK is at 100 MHz and the clock ratio is at x31. And it’s not allowing to change the BLCK unless and until I enable the BLCK. Any suggestion please, I am not getting where exactly I am committing the mistake.

It’s very unfortunate to tell you that 2400 comes up with a locked multiplier. Now the only way you can overclock your processor is by adjusting the base frequency. But I would recommend you not to try adjusting it. But still it is possible to adjust and change the base clock frequency very slightly by without causing complete system instability. I don’t think that the advantage or the gain you would get would not be worth the system instability after adjusting the base clock frequency. As suggested above if you’re really want a decent overclocking then go for k series models.

I have a brand new intel core i5 2400 processor. Have some doubts. I need few advice regarding overclocking. It’s that when I go to advanced setting I can see the turbo core which lists all the cores from 1 to 3 which are x34, x33, x33 and x32. Now I wanted to raise my frequency up slowly not only on one but on all cores. Now my question is that how can I do it, that too safely by keeping everything stable. In short I need to know that how can how can I exactly overclock my CPU or run my CPU at around between 3.6-3.8 GHz without effecting stability.

As advice in the above posts don’t overclock your processor. You have a brand new processor which I personally feel that do not need any overclocking as it is already faster than your expectation. Especially i5 2400 CPU doesn’t need it. But even if you really wanted to bump up your frequency for all cores then I would suggest you to change the BLCK and the clock ratio or else go to advanced setting as you know and then change for each cores.

Here I can help you out but in a bit complicated way, actually it’s not complicated for but maybe you will feel so. You just need to do bit of mathematics:

First of all you just need to multiple your BLCK with the multiplier. Now you can get stable at about 4.1 GHz by setting you turbo multiplier at x42 and also by turning your processor voltage at about .4v - 1.5v. When you are on full load then D2 stepping will ensure the overclocking. But don’t feel that this could get the best out of your CPU. You might not even feel it as impressive as you get performance without overclocking.

The only way I know to overclock an i5 2400 processor is either by adjusting the BCLK/FSB or the turbo boost. Most of my friends get a decent overclocking by adjusting the turbo frequency at maximum. If you want a high speed maximum overclocking then you should have bought 2500k processor with an unlocked multiplier.

I personally disagree with what is said in the above post. Adjusting the turbo frequency at its maximum is bound to be dangerous. Remember overclocking a computer at its maximum level is the most dangerous thing you do as compare to any other computer activity. Remember to adjust the turbo frequencies in the BIOS like core #0 = 45, cores #0 and 1 = 44, cores #0,1, and 2 = 43, and cores #0,1, 2, and 3 = 42 and then adjust turbo voltage as needed.

I don’t know why exactly you people need to overclock your CPU. You share a brand new CPU and I think that everyone know that brand new CPU work more faster by getting the best performance out of it. I have a Phenom II X4 940 and you won’t believe that I never overclocked it till now, in fact I never thought of overclocking it as I can still get faster and best performance. It’s obvious that if you really plan to overclock your new CPU, then it’s nothing but you are wasting and utilizing your option of overclocking which you can use it later when truly required.

Overclocking your CPU unnecessarily will not only kill your chip but also you power supply and the motherboard. As we all know that overclocking first and for mostly utilizes a lot of electricity, and that’s the reason why people try out overclocking on their old processors which they really don’t care about. I planned to overclock my i3 processor only after 1 year, till that I will not even think of overclocking.