Thread: How to Find Out SMPS Wattage

idea How to Find Out SMPS Wattage

Hey Guys,

I would like to know that how do i find out the SMPS wattage. Is there any particular application for it which can allow me to do so? Does any body knows about it? Can any body tell me that how can i do so? Any kind of help on the above issue would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to Find Out SMPS Wattage

Getting the watts value is relatively easy, though not always simple. First, you identify every piece of hardware in the system, then you find the specs for each, most likely at the manufacturer's website. The specs will tell you the wattage each item will require for nominal operations, and in most cases, the max they will pull. Add the maximum listed wattage (usually start up wattage) for each item, add 25% to the total you got from that, and that's the minimum power supply you should put in the case. Don't assume a 500w power supply will provide 500 continuous watts. Look at the specs for the power supplies as well. Many list the maximum transitory power output rather than the continuous. You want the continuous wattage to be equal to or greater than what your hardware requires (plus the 25% buffer).

If you use a PSU that provides less power than your system requires, you will blow things up, introduce errors to the system, and all sorts of unsavory happenings. Always go with more than you need, within reason. It's silly to use a 1000w supply for a system that needs 320w. It's foolhardy to use a 250w for a system that needs 320w. A 350w or 400w will do just fine.

The extra connector you refer to is to provide a constant, adequate power output to the CPU and RAM of the system. Connect it. Not doing so will result in errors in the system.

There are several connector types. There's the old AT style, split unit. The standard ATX. The newer BTX (four additional pins on an ATX style connector). And, the ATX/BTX PSU will likely include the four pin connector you referred to, as well as another one that looks like half of one of the old AT style connectors. These are motherboard specific. Basically, if the connector's on the motherboard, connect it.

Use a monitor that can record a graph of voltages and run some power software like (OCCT, PRIME 95 will test ur cpu and memoryalone and play some h/w intensive games to chk the gfx card) to see what happens, now look at the history graph of the monitor software to see wether voltages dip too much while such apps are running, if this happens then def ur smps is either gone bad or seriously underrated, try smps from other comp/friedn to see what exactly is the problem.

First of all try to derive the total power output of your design ie output V1xI1+V2xI2. To the total power P in watts u hv to proceed for ferrite Tx design.As per power rating first decide for the device IC to be used eg., for powers-->25W with universal input go for TOP switch devices.

While loading at any cost u should not exceed the max power of the Tx.

Go into Power integration(PI) web site and go ahead for transformer(Tx) design for multiple output fly back smps. Do select PC817A for feed back from say side to have close correction ratio.