Thread: CD ROM is detected as Pen Drive in Windows 7

CD ROM is detected as Pen Drive in Windows 7

Hi guys I am running Windows 7 Operating system in my Desktop PC. It was working fine until two day back. I don’t know from where this problem started but my computer has started detecting the pen drive, external HDD and my 3G modem as a CD ROM unit. I am unable to solve this issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on this topic? Why it is happening and how I can solve my problem and get back my computer to work normally as before. Please help me to solve this issue. It is seriously annoying me a lot now.

Re: CD ROM is detected as Pen Drive in Windows 7

According to me uninstalling and the reinstalling the drivers should solve your problem. Do the following few steps:
    • Click on the Start button; the Windows Orb in Windows 7.
    • Now click on Control Panel and then on the Device Manager
    • In the Device Manager window, find the CD/DVD drive and uninstall it by selecting uninstall form the right-click menu.
    • Perform the same for the External HDD and 3G modem.
    • When prompted, restart your computer.
    • Your computer system will automatically install all the necessary drivers for these few hardwares.

These problems might be possible because of some kind of virus or malicious germs attack in your system. So first I would like to recommend you to perform complete scanning of your system and if your antivirus detects any such suspicious files in your system, then just get rid of them by deleting them from your system permanently or you can also try to heal them if it is possible to do so. You should always remember to keep your antivirus updated and always perform complete system scan from time to time.

Restore you computer to the point when you were not facing the problem. You can roll back your computer system to any stored restore points. But it will be better for you to take back up of all your important files and data before you are performing system restore. Do the following:
    1. Click on the Windows Orb and go to All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
    2. Select the restore point as per your choice and click on Next button.
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions and when your computer prompts to Restart your computer, just confirm it and restart your computer.

I am assuming that the there must be some kind of loose connections in your hardware or some other hardware issues. So I would suggest you to open the case of your CPU and then check out whether all the connections are properly made and the wirings are perfect. Make sure that no pin connections are loose enough to get you any problem. Disconnect all the hardware peripherals and reconnect them. Reconfigure all the hardware and settings and then check whether the problem is solved or not.

You should probably contact some computer store and ask them to take your CPU for repairing. Hardware problems can be solved by the technical people more efficiently. And it would be better for you to get your computer repaired by some knowledgeable person rather then you yourself performing experiments with your computer and thereby putting them under more danger zone. If your computer is under warranty period then you will be getting free repairing of your problem or else get ready to shell out more money.