Thread: Can I install Dell OEM Disc on home build

Can I install Dell OEM Disc on home build

I have bought Windows 7 with a Dell which I bought about 1 year ago. I am crumbling that device and constructing a fresh system from other then Dell. So I need to ask you all that can I use the Windows 7 install CD that came with my old dell system? I have paid for the Windows 7 OS when I bought the system 1 year ago, so I be the owner of it right? But I will not be using it on the old dell to any further extent and I don’t wish to have to buy Windows 7 once more as I have previously own it.

Re: Can I install Dell OEM Disc on home build

I am wondering that why someone would buy this Operating System from Dell. Why not, you can buy it yourself. By this method you could move it right? But as far as an OEM Operating System's is concerned you cannot with authorization be transferred. And the aspect is that the most of the Dell CD are only working in the Dell BIOS. So I don’t think that you will be able to use that CD on other System.

Because of this reason only I am not buying other system from Dell. They didn’t provide all the authority that we should have. If we purchase a system from Dell even after you want to change the system in future you are not allowed to do that. But the right of changing the system should be provided to us as far as our need. Any way Thanks’ for the information. If you all have better solution then please provide me I am waiting for your reply.

I have one idea by which you can make that Bootable CD to work on non Dell System, for that you will need to create a the image of that CD, and also you have to edit a number of settings and then make a new CD with the help of that image by burning it with Nero. But your CD Key is of OME version so it will not work on non OME Operating System. Sorry in case of OME CD Key.

OEM operating systems are certified just to the mobo they are set up on according to Microsoft. If you modify the mobo you will lose your OEM license i.e. your OME is now no longer in effect. And the worst thing is that if you have upgraded the mobo from the Dell it will also cancel your license. If you are purchasing the accurate identical mobo then it is okay. So be careful will purchasing upgrade also.