Thread: How to uninstall Ubuntu 10.4 or help me change the boot order?

How to uninstall Ubuntu 10.4 or help me change the boot order?

I have the Windows XP and the Ubuntu 10.4 installed on my system and the thing here is that I usually prefer working in the Windows XP. I had just installed the Ubuntu so that I can learn some of things about the other operating systems. Well the issue here is that when I had not installed it in my system I was having the Ubuntu here I was directly able to get booted to the Windows XP but now after this I have to manually choose the Ubuntu here so that I can have the Windows XP for me. Can you please tell me what can be done here so that I can get rid of this scrolling? Well I want to know if it is possible how I can make the Windows XP on top of the boot order list here. Any suggestion for this will be really appreciated. However if that is not possible then I think that uninstalling the Ubuntu will really help me and would like to know about the same as well. Please let me know about any one way.

Re: How to uninstall Ubuntu 10.4 or help me change the boot order?

Well to start with I think that you can have the Windows XP as the default operating system and for that you will have to make use of the scroll one more time. Well here is the suggestion and see if that can help a bit with the situation that you have presented. All you have to do is Login as the Administrator on your system. Well the things here are simple, once you login as the administrator, right click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop. After that you will have to enter the Properties Tab. After that you will be able to see a window has appeared called System Properties. In this Window you will be required to choose the Advance Tab. Under this tab you will be able to see at the bottom Startup and Recovery Option just click on the Settings tab that is present beside it. After performing the Click you will be able to see another Window called Startup and Recovery and in this window you will be able to see an option above called as Default Operating System. In this option make your optimal choice. Try this and let me know if that really helped you in any manner. Hope that it will really help you with the solution.

Looking at the things that you have presented here I think that it will be great if you can delete the partition for the Ubuntu when you are in the Windows XP and I think that can help a bit in the situation of yours. It is really very easy and all you have to do is Log in as the administrator and Go in the Computer Management. From there you will be able to delete the partition that is having the Ubuntu within it as the operating system. Well if you have made use of the Grub or Lilo so that you can have the Dual Boot here then after deleting the Partition you will not be able to boot and you will have to bring the Windows XP CD in action here. I think that you will be required to perform the Repair option here. Well see for this and let me know if what I have said is true. This is because the loader actually re-writes the boot sector after the installation has been made and hence I think that you will be required to have the CD of Windows XP here. Please let me know if I was correct in suggesting you this.

For uninstalling the Ubuntu you will be required to make use of the partition manager well you can have one from the internet. Well in my case I had used BootIt NG and would suggest you to go with the same. Just download it and extract it. After the extraction you can run BOOTITING.EXE. After that you will be able to see a confirmation prompt just select YES. Once you click on the YES option then you will be required to make a Bootable CD. Just hit the Enter button and then you will be able to see that a BOOTITING.ISO is getting created. After this simply run the makedisk.exe so that you can burn the CD. Now go in the partition work and click oval that is to the left side. Finally delete the Ubuntu Partition and then you will get rid of the Ubuntu. After all this you will be required to reset mbr, and for that you will be required to select the Windows Partition and click std mbr. Finally click on the Apply button and restart the system. See if this can help you here.

Well let me tell you that I have already tried this but the thing is that I can not have anything working. In addition to this the issue here is that I do not have the Windows CD and hence I cannot proceed with the things that you all have made here. Also the reason for this is that I had bought the Laptop and they had installed the registered Windows XP on the system and had not given me the CD and I will be really happy if you can suggest me something in other manner. I will be waiting for the suggestions here. Please let me something that can be tried with ease.

You want to have the Boot Order changed and I think that I can help a bit here just see the steps below and see if you can have the solution in the manner that you have requested for:
    • You will be required to make use of the BCDEdit.exe
    • You can find it here: C:\windows\system32 folder
    • BCDEdit basically substitutes the BootCfg.exe tool
    • Go to the Start
    • Then Click on the Run
    • When the Run Window will appear type the following and follow the instructions that appears on the screen:
    • C:\> cd windows/system32
    • C:\windows\system32> bcdedit /?
    • C:\windows\system32> bcdedit /enum all
    • C:\Windows\system32> bcdedit /default <GUID of Windows XP>
    • C:\windows\system32> bcdedit /delete <GUID of Windows XP>
    • Bcdedit /set ID description "The new description"
    • bcdedit /displayorder ID1 [ID2] [ID3] [...]
    • bcdedit /bootsequence ID1 [ID2] [ID3] ...
    • Please make sure that you are in the Administrator mode when you are working with the above steps.