Thread: What text editor use with regex for linux?

What text editor use with regex for linux?

I have been using textpad as my text editor for windows but recently I have move to Linux system. So I am thinking of having any graphical text editor for Linux which would be similar to textpad with the option for performing search and swap with regex enabled. But I am not sure about what I can have in Linux system for editing regular expression, so if anyone has knowledge about what to have as my text editor in Linux please let me know which will be really appreciable.

Re: What text editor use with regex for linux?

You have not mentioned what desktop you are using, let me suggest you text editor which you can use if you are currently using KDE as your desktop. Then best editor you can have for your system is with regex enabled is the Kate editor this permits regexs in search as well as replace. Kate is a fully programmer's editor with syntax highlighting for about 150 filetypes and the highlighting is expandable It has support for search and replace using regular expressions and supports auto-detection of file encodings other than this it also perform much more which you want to have from a text editor, as you have already used textpad you will be really comfortable with Kate editor.
    Last edited by Devasis; 09-11-2010 at 08:28 PM.

No I am using gnome as my desktop, so I want to know if kate editor will still work with it. I have got some suggestion from one of the official website for going for wine textpad which they have suggested will work with my system. But I have not used in my Linux system yet with regex enabled on it, so if anyone having other suggestion please provide it.

I think you can try vim or gvim text editor if you want a great GTK2 interface on your Linux system as you want to have the graphically good text editor while the regex is enabled in your system. Other than this the Regex functions are inbuilt so may work greatly with these text editor on your system. You can also try to use emacs editor on your Linux system which might work similar to as the textpad in windows. So you can use any of the editors which is most appropriate for your use.