Thread: BootManager problem in Hp mini

BootManager problem in Hp mini

I have an HP mini which I bought as a refurbished item from Futureshop. I kept getting a "low disk space" message so I did a compress disk. Well, foolishly I compressed the entire disk, sub folders and all. Then I tried to do a restart, it attempts to restart but the screen message tells me the bootmanager is compressed, press ctrl + alt + del. I do that I all I get are the F9 or F10 options. How do I get into safe mode, its an American Megatrends bios, F8 doesn't work. I'm scared to turn it off, but I read something on another forum that upon turning it back on it will give me boot options. Can someone please advise me ASAP.
    thanks!

Re: BootManager problem in HP mini

Use F5 key for AM (American Megatrends) to enter Safe mode. This will let you to get to the conclusion which you need. Also you can enter the safe mode using F8 key all you have to do is that when you press f8 key you get a boot menu then choose your hard drive. As this is been done you have to hit enter and start pressing F8 again. You may then be directed to enter safe mode option. Do look out.

Re: BootManager problem in Hp mini

Thanks for the suggestion but F5 doesn't work. Therefore the rest of your suggestion doesn't either. I did find the OS and Driver disks supplied with the netbook on purchase but they are useless to me since it doesn't have an optical drive. I then bought an 8G stick to reformat as a boot stick and attempted to have the netbook boot from the stick so I could at least get in and uncompress the darn boot manager. I referred to maximum PC magazine June2010 issue where they in detail explain how to do it. But the step where to set up the boot directory on the stick didn't work, and I can't manage to get an OS onto the stick. I am open to any more suggestions.Thanks!

Since you are not able to boot form stick, it would be better if you go for external DVD-RW. If you don't want to purchase it, try to take from someone for time being. Because booting from the stick is very tedious job when compared to the bootable CD. So try to install the operating system by CD.

I did find the OS and Driver disks supplied with the netbook on purchase but they are useless to me since it doesn't have an optical drive.
    If you have not got any OS and Driver disk, then it means that you should create the disk for it. Else you can try the factory settings. I am sure, your problem will get sorted.

Since I found the disks I attempted to use them to create a recovery disk and put it on the USB stick. No such luck, when the disk goes in and gets recognized by the computer system there is absolutely no option to create recovery files of any sort. I guess this computer is good for nothing now! I must be SOL. I spent 7 hrs yesterday trying several different ways to create a bootable USB, the computer recognizes them but something is not quite right, I made so much progress in so many ways but it the end no fix. The last USB boot files I put on it - the computer said something about not accepting the operating system. The last attempt I did was from ROXIO and it claims to fix my exact boot error message. I contact ROXIO and explained my error message, I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

In this condition I will recommend to run recovery option. In my case I found my boot.ini file crashed. I fix that by creating a bootable usb via nLite. This software needs a working windows cd and it copies all the files of a bootable to a usb. So you can boot with it and click on R when it loads up. In the next windows choose the operating system and then you will enter recovery mode. There pass the command - bootcfg /rebuild hit enter. Reboot and check back.