Thread: backtrack 4 and using wireless card

backtrack 4 and using wireless card

Hi Guys
    its taken me over a week to get this far!
    I finally got Backtrack 4 installed on ms virtual pc after following these instructions Any one using backtrack 4?I have trouble installing it on VIrtualBox.please help? thanks supercop!
    (I tried for weeks with BT3 and nothing. Kept getting the black screen!)
    So I want to see if I have a compatible wlan card and even though I can connect to the internet it keeps telling me there are no wireless connections. Its telling me that I have a wired connection. I disabled this in network settings in VPC and only entered my wireless card. So my wlan card must be working, as on my laptop there is only the wlan connection in use. There is no ethernet cable connected!!
    Can anyone give me a clue how to solve this? Or what's going on. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place in BT4.
    I have a windows vista home premium 32 system and I'm running backtrack 4 on MSVPC 2007 with no virtual machine additions installed (as I cant seem to do that!) My wlan card is a broadcom 802 b/g harware ID PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_1508103C&REV_01
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_1508103C
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_028000
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_0280
    not sure which is the right number for ID!
    thanks for your time
    Kwisj
    BTW I've included a screen shot if its any help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: backtrack 4 and using wireless card

It have been noticed that support for Broadcom devices has always been kind of iffy in Linux. You might want to try the R1 release of BackTrack, which has a newer kernel with better support for Broadcom cards. Here is the link for it that can sort out your problem - http://www.backtrack-linux.org/backt...dcom-wireless/

Thanks einstein I will try that. but if that does not work. Is it worth me getting hold of a USB wireless dongle, or a PCIE one, or even replaceing the broadcom card in the laptop all together, to use with BT4. If so can you recommend a brand? I have seen that Dlink cards are supposed to work well.
    thanks again for your time.
    Kwisj
    PS I clicked on your link and was directed here http://www.backtrack-linux.org/backt...dcom-wireless/ which is just an announcement that the broadcom drivers are coming soon. Is that right

You can also make the issue to be sorted well which will surely let the change to be processed or work well that is needed. It will be better for you which will let the change that is needed. I hope as it is been done you can then make the change to be functioned well that is needed. So do check and work well which will be better for you.