Thread: How to shred entire directory (tree)

How to shred entire directory (tree)

Guys help me to find out the way to deal with the advance features and procedures provided by the Linux community. Actually, there are more user on the network connected with me . I would like to shred a entire tree, could it be possible in this case?

If not, is there a good tool as the Eraser in Windows to do the same thing, but what about the Linux ?Please help me to find the best one procedure .

Thanks!

Re: How to shred entire directory (tree)

If you are just indicating that the secure deletion by overwriting the same with the random bits, then go for Wipe . It is one of the secure file wiping tool provided specially in the free distributed environment . There are some low level problems which should be taken into the consideration. One of these is that there should be some sort of write barrier within the passes specified .

There is another alternative " Free Secure (Destructive) File and Disk Deletion Tools" facilitated and you can select from the list of protected delete applications. Wipe will be also entitled there but you shoul need to move for the application with the GUI.

Thanks for the suggestion and I am so glad that you considered on my issues. I have posted the same thread on the official site also but there are no any response at all. I have posted the same question and one of the user is getting what I described there .
    What do you mean by shredding the tree?? I take this "rm -rf folder_name" is not appropriate ??
    I mean the 'batch' equivalent of shred, as shred only shreds one file once (I am able to use for i .... but that only consumes out the files and I would like to choose a directory and have clicked and shred).

There are some useful command that could be feasible in this situation. I have searched a lot about this and found something useful. You need to go for the command to shred entire files within the directory tree and then after remove out the empty directories.

$>find -type f -execdir shred -u '{}' \;
    $>rm -rf *