Thread: How to Upgrade Windows 7 RC to RTM (Final)

How to Upgrade Windows 7 RC to RTM (Final)

Hi, I am a Windows 7 RC user. While browsing on this forum i got the following post Expiry symptoms of Windows 7 RC . Thanks for reminding the expiry dates. But it is really little bit about to worry that i'll lose all my configurations as well. So, i wanted to know is there any way i can Upgrade Windows 7 RC to RTM ? If yes, please let me know how ? Thanks in advance.

Re: How to Upgrade Windows 7 RC to RTM (Final)

As reported in official communication allows the updating of our RC to RTM version, although Microsoft recommends about a clean installation of our RTM. In order to upgrade Windows RC to the final version RTM, follow this procedure:

• Copy all files from the Windows 7 DVD to a folder on the partition that supports Windows 7 RC
    • If Windows 7 RTM has been downloaded from a Microsoft official site, the ISO has been burned to a DVD.
    • Open source directory
    • Click on the file cversion.ini which will open with Notepad
    • It is the value specified for the number of Build MinClient (7233) which blocks the process of upgrading, since the RC (Release Candidate) is the Build 7100
    • We must indicate a value less than or equal to 7100 for MinClient and save the file cversion.ini
    • Run the upgrade from the Windows folder 7 copied the partition by running the setup.exe
    • The change made on MinClient will validate the version checking and upgrading can be done.

There is a situation supported the upgrading an installation of Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) to the final version or RTM. This is unofficial, since technically, Microsoft does not allow us to do, but for those who do not want to go through the hassle of making a backup of our data, and be forced to perform a clean installation (although in fact better to consider this option) this option exists.

It is always recommended installing an OS from scratch but still you wanna upgrade your Windows 7 RC to RTM final version than extracting the installation ISO file in Windows 7 Final disk or copy it onto a USB stick. Edit the file located in [path-win7] \ sources \ cversion.ini. Change the value of the property MinClient from 7000.0 to 7233.0, as the number of RC build of Windows 7 is 7100, therefore we have to specify a lower value to it. Change the value of the property MinClient from 7000.0 to 7233.0, as the number of RC build of Windows 7 is 7100, therefore we have to specify a lower value to it. Save and close the file. If it is necessary to burn the installation files to a DVD. Run the Windows 7 Final installation and follow the steps.

Thats It..

The downside of the Windows 7 RC expiry is that sometimes having to make an installation from scratch may be too upset. You will lose all your settings, installed programs, and more. Fortunately, Microsoft said a procedure for moving from a RC to RTM. Keep in mind that a clean install is what Microsoft suggests for best performance.

You can upgrade in 4 simple steps:-
    1. After downloading the Windows 7 RTM ISO, extract with WinRAR or program of your choice.
    2. Locate and open the file with cversion.ini notebook, is in the Sources folder.
    3. You must edit the value of MinClient, change from 7233 to 7100 or 7000.
    4. Save the file and you can run Setup.exe, now should not come any restrictions.