Thread: Windows Explorer not working in 64 bit Windows 7

Windows Explorer not working in 64 bit Windows 7

Hello, My system with Windows 7 64-bit used to work fine until some 2-3 days ago when it updated itself, I used to get continous error message for Windows explorer stating that "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and so on... I also tried to run SFC / Scannow and also did a chkdsk /r but still it didnt help me our much and in the end I again got the same error. What are the other possible troubleshooting can I do, please help. Thank you

Re: Windows Explorer not working in 64 bit Windows 7

Did you try to clean boot your system to check whether there is a software conflict or not, if not then follow the method below:

Step 1: Perform a clean boot
    Note: If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to modify the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.

• Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    • Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

• On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
    • On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note: Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

• Click OK, and then click Restart.

More information here.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

This issue can also arise due to some .dll file issue and to troubleshoot it you may try to download and replace MPR.dll for Windows 7 64 bit version. After placing it on C drive, first run command prompt in system recovery mode and then run the below commands to rename and replace the old MPR.dll file and after doing this restart your computer.

Ren C:\Windows\System32\MPR.dll MPR.old

Copy C:\MPR.dll C:\Windows\System32

I would say that you should try reinstalling Windows Explorer version to the latest and update it as soon as you finish installing it. If you dont wish to reinstall it then you can also try to repair it. You can also try this to fix it:

1. First click Start.
    2. Then, in the Search Bar, type regedit and press Enter.
    3. Next, locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions
    4. In the right pane delete this subkey: MachineThrottling
    5. Turn your computer off and back on for the change to take effect.