Thread: Mac to develop apps for iPhone

Mac to develop apps for iPhone

I am thinking to buy a Mac to develop apps for iPhone. At this point the mac mini seems to me is a good choice but I would appreciate any suggestion at this level. I meant to take the smallest model. Is it easy to add 1 more GB of RAM? And if so what model should i go with? If you have development experience on Mac let me know! Thanks in advance...

Re: Mac to develop apps for iPhone

To open a mac mini it you just need a spatula, or a knife kind of device. About the upgrade,yes, you can put 1GB RAM in it but not more then 2GB, Be careful while doing so because it provides basic 2x512MB so that it will buy you 2x1GB of DDR2 667 small strips for laptops. Overall, the mini is a great little computer, as small and economical also a better choice over atom computers.

Mac Mini would be a great machine if you already have a display and keyboard/mouse, but if you are planning to buy everything new, iMac would be a better choice over Mac Mini. Well Make sure whichever machine you buy, should be Apple's ofcourse and running atleast Mac OS X Leopard. You will get all the new machines with Snow Leopard, that was just in case of a second hand system...

I've been using an iMac 1.83 Ghz with 1 GB RAM. It just works fine without too much trouble. It gets a little unstable sometimes so I'm considering to upgrade the memory. But otherwise i have no complaints. It just works great. Basically all you have to pay attention is that you get the Mac computer with an Intel processor. I hope this is helpful. Also for programming iPhone Application you can research on Apple's website. Have a look at this link : http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

Setup your Mac and once it is setup the next thing to do is install the iPhone SDK. You can download the iPhone Software Development Kit by visiting the Apple's iPhone Development Center. You must register for a free iPhone Dev account to download the iPhone SDK. The download is over 1GB, so be prepared to wait for a few minutes while that finishes. Download iPhone SDK from above link provided by MacIntel. To download you must be logged in.