Thread: Alternative for Yahoo Messenger for Ubuntu 9.04

Alternative for Yahoo Messenger for Ubuntu 9.04

Hello there. I have a system with Ubuntu 9.04 installed. I want to use yahoo's IM service on Ubuntu 9.04. What shall i do? I searched yahoo messenger's website but there i couldn't find yahoo messenger download available for Ubuntu. Can anyone help me with an alternative for Yahoo Messenger for Ubuntu 9.04 if not the yahoo messenger itself...?

Re: Alternative for Yahoo Messenger for Ubuntu 9.04

Some alternative for yahoo messenger in Ubuntu linux are :
    Gajim : Gajim is an instant messaging client for the XMPP protocol which uses the GTK+ toolkit. The name Gajim is a recursive acronym for Gajim's a jabber instant messenger. Gajim runs on Linux, BSD and Microsoft Windows. Released under the GNU General Public License, Gajim is free software.
    Nimbuzz : Nimbuzz is a messaging service combining instant messaging, presence and VoIP. It interfaces with several popular messaging services such as Skype, Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, ICQ, Google Talk, AIM, GaduGadu, XMPP and Twitter as well social networks such as Facebook and MySpace.

There are a lot IM clients which you can use on Ubuntu. But the best one i suggest you to use is Pidgin. Pidgin comes with Ubuntu 9.04 inbuilt and is easy to use and configure. Pidgin is a multi-platform instant messaging client, based on a library named libpurple. Libpurple has support for many commonly used instant messaging protocols, allowing the user to log into various different services from one application.

Yeah, There are many IM clients that you can use in Linux. The best reason is that most software on linux are free. Kopete is a multi-protocol, free software instant messaging client. Although it can run in numerous environments, it was designed for and integrates with the KDE desktop environment. The name Kopete comes from the Chilean word "copete", a word referring to alcoholic drinks.

Two such IM clients for linux with added features :

fring is a peer-to-peer Mobile VoIP based internet telephony network founded by Avi Shechter, formerly co–CEO of ICQ and a VP at AOL co-founded by Boaz Zilberman and Alex Nerst. fring enables users to talk and chat using Skype, ICQ, Google Talk, MSN Messenger / Windows Live Messenger, AIM, Yahoo Messenger and SIP providers. fring is headquartered in Israel, and has representation in Italy, UK, Taiwan and Germany.

Coccinella is an instant messaging client for the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP). Mats Bengtsson released in 1999 the first version of the program Whiteboard. In 2003 Whiteboard was renamed Coccinella (Italian for ladybird/ladybug). Coccinella is written in Tcl/Tk, and runs on a range of platforms, including Linux, BSD, Solaris, Microsoft Windows, and Mac OS X. Released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Coccinella is free software.