Thread: How to prevent migration to WMP 11

How to prevent migration to WMP 11

I am using windows XP SP3 with Windows Media Player 11. I managed to turn and WPM 10 was relocated to the place, and that is what I wanted. For movement the "Automatic Updates" will want to install WMP 11 over the next occasion, which i don't want. It's such crap that WMP 11. How to prevent this migration to WMP 11 without blocking other upgrades (fixes security flaws for example) that would arise at the same time?

Re: How to prevent migration to WMP 11

Use a Group Policy setting to stop Windows Media Playerfrom from periodically checking for updates
    To disable automatically checking for updates by using a Group Policy setting, follow these steps

• In Group Policy Microsoft Management Console (MMC), under Computer Configuration expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Media Player.
    • In the list of available policies, double-click Prevent Automatic Updates.
    • Click Enabled, and then click OK.
    • Close Group Policy MMC.

Windows Media Player 8 and later versions: After you disable the automatic update check by using the registry, the Check for Player Updates option under the Help menu is not available. Additionally, the Check for updates options are not available under Automatic Updates on the Player tab of the Media Player Options dialog box.

If you want to enable Windows Media Player to periodically check for updates by using a Group Policy setting

To enable Windows Media Player to automatically check for updates by using a Group Policy setting, follow these steps:

• In Group Policy Microsoft Management Console (MMC), under Computer Configuration expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Media Player.
    • In the list of available policies, double-click Prevent Automatic Updates.
    • Click Disabled or click Not Configured, and then click OK.
    • Close Group Policy MMC.