Thread: Error message at command prompt, f parameter not specified

Error message at command prompt, f parameter not specified

I'm running Windows Xp as my operating system. The problem is that when i try to chkdsk on my drive, it shows an error message at command prompt, f parameter not specified on your system? Can any body tell me that how do i resolve the above issue? Can any body provide me the correct solution for the above issue? Any kind of help on the above issue would be appreciated.

Re: Error message at command prompt, f parameter not specified

The status report shows errors found in the file system. For that you need to go to your Start Menu, then select Run and then you need to type in CMD. In the command prompt window that appears,then you need to type in chkdsk /f. Hope so it may resolve your issue. Chkdsk examines disk space and disk use for the file allocation table (FAT) and NTFS file systems. Chkdsk provides information specific to each file system in a status report.

When an error is encountered, the command line is displayed, followed by an error message. The most likely cause of an error is that you have specified parameters to Rebuild that do not correctly represent the input file. If you are running chkdsk by selection from your drive properties error checking option, check fix errors selection. CHKDSK will run at next startup, if options not checked CHKDSK runs immediately without fixing errors. Running CHKDSK from a command prompt requires the "\F" switch to force repairs.

The parameter file you specified on the command line cannot be found. Check that the file exists, and that the specification you used on the command line is correct. To work around this issue, use ScanDisk instead of Chkdsk to check your hard disk for errors. To run chkdsk on a fixed disk, you must be a member of the Administrators group. If you choose to check the drive the next time you restart the computer, chkdsk checks the drive and corrects errors automatically when you restart the computer. If the drive partition is a boot partition, chkdsk automatically restarts the computer after it checks the drive.