Thread: Unable to download SP2 for XP

Unable to download SP2 for XP

I can not download windows xp sp 2 on my computer,i have checked all the security settings.When I go to the MS Update site,Windows Update correctly scan and search the computer but the updates unable to be installed or download. i have no idea how to sort out this problem.Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Re: Unable to download SP2 for XP

When you try to download windows xp sp 2 do you get any error messages?The issue appears to be related to corrupted or invalid entries in the registry causing Windows Update and Microsoft Update unable to download and install the selected critical high priority updates onto the system.disable any program running in the background when installing updates from the Microsoft Windows Update website.or try to use third part utilities such as CCleaner and Dial-a-fix.

The simplest and best way to install Windows XP SP2 is to use Automatic Updates. By turning on Automatic Updates, your computer will automatically download just the necessary parts of SP2 to update your particular computer. And it will do the download in a way that doesn't interfere with your regular day-to-day computing.
    • To turn on Automatic Updates:
    • Navigate to the Protect Your PC Web site.
    • Click Let us do it for you.
    • Click Start Here.
    • If you're prompted with a security bulletin, make sure it is signed by Microsoft, and then click OK.
    • Finally, click Turn on Automatic Updates.

check this to get more information about How to configure Automatic Updates

Make sure that you have automatic updates turned on when you try to update for xp sp 2.Make sure that the Remote Procedure Call Locator is not disabled:Click Start, select Run and type in:services.msc and Locate " Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator".If it is disabled, then right click on it, go to 'Properties', change to 'manual' and Apply.Try Windows Update Again.