Thread: windows Server 2008 Applying Computer Settings issue

windows Server 2008 Applying Computer Settings issue

Hello all...

I have a Server 2008 box and yesterday I rebooted the box.... now EACH time I reboot the box I am getting "Applying Computer Settings" and then "Applying User Settings" each time I log in.... I've never seen this before....

The other BIG issue is that now that this has started RDP no longer works I get a Session Time Out Message each time I try to get in... before I rebooted it worked just fine...

Can someone offer some things to check?

Many thanks,

Prof

Re: windows Server 2008 Applying Computer Settings issue

Hi,

Check if there is Webclient service running on this problematic Windows XP, if so please stop and disable the Webclient service and reboot. If you use Windows Server 2008 as DC, this may be cause by SMB incompatibility. Windows server 2008 uses Server Message Block (SMB) 2.0 for file access, which might lead to incompatible problem and cause slow access. You can refer to the following steps to force Windows Server 2008 to use SMB 1.0 for file access.

What is strange was this was working fine yesterday... I just rebooted the Server 2008 box.... nothing has changed on my XP machine.... and none of my other techs can RDP into the Server 2008 box now either.

What has me wondering is that nothing changed on this box, I just rebooted it. Then wham, Slow Applying settings and RDP stopped working....

One of those links suggested it is a CAL problem.... I don't think that is the case here... I am the only one (other then 2 other techs) who have access to this box .... plus it was working yesterday. This is very confusing. One of my tech contacts suggested it might be a virtual memory issue but I have changed the memory from auto to manual and that has not had an effect. I was working on a script to get my users automatically mapped to the correct network drive (in this case a SAN drive that is connected to this server) but I have removed the Script from the SysVol section ... I also just noted that when I log in as an admin first time I only have 3 icons on my screen... then I log out and log back in and I have my usual 20.... this just keeps getting stranger and stranger.

Is there some place I can check a log file or something to see where the hangup might be coming from? IF so how do I get there to look....

Hey!
    You can check if any alerts or errors occuring in your system. Right-Click on My Computer>Manage From here click on Event Viewer to view event related problems or click on Performance Logs and Alert to see if any problem occured

Sounds good I will give that a try. I did discover the under the firewall it was changed to not allow remote sessions... not sure how that happened, again I just rebooted the system.... I'll check the event log and see what I see. Thanks!

In looking at the Event log I see this as a very common error:

Faulting application svchost.exe_LanmanServer, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47919291, faulting module srvsvc.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791ae0a, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00000000000139dc, process id 0xae8, application start time 0x01c9cccad2dd8457.

Plus a host of Failed Printer Services on Terminal Server ....

I also noticed that my system idle process is hovering around 99....

And another message in event log:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not determine if the user and computer accounts are in the same forest. Ensure the user domain name matches the name of a trusted domain that resides in the same forest as the computer account.

The Group Policy service failed to obtain a list of domains in the forest. Group Policy processing stopped because the Group Policy service cannot determine if the user and computer belong to the same forest.

To correct user and computer forest discovery:
    1. Find the error code displayed in the error event. The error code appears on the Details tab of the error event. The error code and error description fields may help identify the reason for the failure.
    2. Ensure domain controllers are accessible in the domain that hosts the computer object.
    3. Disjoin and join the computer to the domain. Then log on with the same user account that experienced the problem.
    4. Use Active Directory troubleshooting procedures to further diagnose the problem.(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc732148.aspx)

for your above mentioned problem please check here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc727273.aspx

I am making some progress..... but I can not map remote computers to resources on the server.... these were working before... not sure what is up here. What would prevent a network map? The folder is shared and I have given full control to the folder for people....

Getting closer yet now I am getting the following error when trying to map a drive to this network from userstation on the same domain:

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

Any ideas?

Try to allow WINS dynamic registration. This ensures that Domain Controllers register their DOMAIN<1C> NetBIOS names with the WINS Server and also make certain that WINS database replication is successful between WINS Servers.

For more solution click below

http://forums.techarena.in/server-security/727988.htm

I just noticed that my Domain Server is not visible on my network... I am wondering if this has something to do with it? I have rebooted the Dc several times but no change.... I can ping the IP .... but when I do a map drive the DC does not even show up as a computer on the network....

Here is another snippit...

When I try and start Active Directory I get:

Naming Information can not be located because the RPC Server is unavailable. Contact your system Admin to verify your domain is properly configured and online....

Any thoughts on how to correct this? I suspect this is the root of my problems.

Also... is there an easy way to "Go back" to say my server config from last week? I have tried booting the server and "going back to last successful" but that did not fix it. When I boo the box it takes forever to "Apply Settings" and I am sure this is causing the DC not to go online... something is failing to load. It would be great if I could restore the system to say a state it was in 1 week ago.... that might be another work around...

You solved your problem ?! without reinstalling ? Im with the same problem... my windows server 2008 dont start "Server" Service...

regards.

This is what fixed my Applying Computer Settings issue for a 2008 SBS

Over the weekend, I installed and configured Small Business Server 2008 in my lab. Installation was fairly easy and went pretty smooth. Had no problems what so ever. After it got installed, I made a few changes and then applied Windows Update. It needed a reboot, which I did. That is when the problem started. After I rebooted the server, it would get hanged at “Applying Computer Settings” screen and won’t proceed any further. I left it there for a while (about two hours) and it did not proceed any further…I rebooted the server (had to hard boot it) and then went into the Safe Mode to see if things are fine and working. In the Safe Mode, no problem occurred.

I again let it reboot into its normal session but results weren’t any better. Heck…what to do…so, I went back into the Safe Mode after hard booting it and then checked its network properties…I remembered that I had unchecked IPv6 option…it was pretty strange and I didn’t really think that the problem could be due to this. I just checked it again and let the server reboot…within minutes, I was able to login… It seems that the problem occurs because IPv6 is supposed to be SBS2008′s primary protocol…due to which it gets stuck on the “Applying Computer Settings” screen.

Nevertheless, this “accidental” solution worked and server is back in its normal condition. If you face the same situation, do make sure IPv6 is selected in the network card properties. Hopefully, this solution will work you as well…it did for me!

Another common solution to hanging at "Applying Computer Settings" or "Applying User Settings" is Microsoft KB 2379016

A computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 stops responding at the "Applying User Settings" stage of the logon process

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2379016