Thread: Vista 64 bit freezes randomly

Vista 64 bit freezes randomly

I am having problem with my Windows Vista 64 bit installed computer. It is randomly freezing and I am unable to get it stable.

I didn't changed anything and so everything seems to be at default settings only. Still freezing? Strange! Can anyone solve this problem.

Why don't you use System Repair Tool? It will fix your system freezing issue.

Want System Repair Tool

Is your computer up-to-date with latest drivers (for BIOS, graphics card or sound card, etc.), Windows patches, etc installed? Check it and if not do it and see are you still having the same issue.

Sometimes the problem is with Vista Aero Interface. What you can do is that you should switch to classic view of Vista.

Re: Vista 64 bit freezes randomly

VISTA Ultimate 64 never worked Recv'd Aug-08.
    Have Extended Service In-house; refuse to come!
    Re-installed, all drivers current, bla ..bla
    Norton 2009, All Diagnostics say everything OK.
    I have no S/W now other then what came with it!!!
    Freezes (Needs Hard BOOT)
    Have over 250 hours with HP & MS, sometimes till 3AM.
    They say it no good but refuse to replace or fix.
    GET THIS: HP says if diagnotics says no Hardware problem they won't come.
    Service agreement plinly states HW & SW.
    DELL same plan! Next day replaced Mother board N/C.
    I was ready for crashes but I can't rely on this thing.
    Worst PC I ever had.
    Can't get any satisfaction from HP.
    2-Supervisors said: "Won't honor service contract because they need to know what's wrong first".
    Read that again folks!!

System Repair? Did that!
    How many times did you people need to re-install Windows 95, 98, XP ???
    XP has restore how many times did you use it?
    They restored my system 17 times, factory installed 3 times.
    REMEMBER CLASS ACTION SUIT WITH LAPTOPS?
    HP knew they were freezing and kept selling!!

Hello palm32!

You seem to be having a VERY VERY BAD experience with HP and Microsoft, I think. However have you tried the system repair tool as suggested by Baltazar (just see the above post of Baltazar).

EVERYTHING!! 10 Times.
    Error reporting must have 150 Freezes with no solutions that were sent.
    The fact that is lemon isn't the problem.
    It is their attitude.
    They say they WON'T fix if they can' find the cause. The Key word being WON'T.
    THey say there going to send someone! DON'T BUY THE IN-HOUSE service from them.
    It's a lie!
    ONE supervisor one monthy ago promised me a new PC with XP, but another supevisor said that I can't have it, yet refuses to send a tech.

Now they said they are sending someone yet no call.
    What is he going to do? Sit there and wate for a freeze?
    There isn't anything they haven't have me do to that you can mention..over and over.

Believe or not MS admiited they have a problem with VISTA (Issues they call it) and want to help, but I told them how much is to much for a customer take?
    How many hours?
    When do they replace it? One year..Two years from now.
    Last GM car was bad but this is a rip-off.
    It's been a horror show.
    If you would listen to the conversations on the phone, it's like the twilight zone.
    And on top of that, they wanted to charge my credit card for IT support because the problem was beyond them.
    I work at home, not on a network. Crazy!!
    Last edited by palm32; 03-12-2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by Wiro View Post
    I am having problem with my Windows Vista 64 bit installed computer. It is randomly freezing and I am unable to get it stable.

I didn't changed anything and so everything seems to be at default settings only. Still freezing? Strange! Can anyone solve this problem.
    4 Months here! Read every suggestion on thei site and every other site, that what I tried.
    I post every suggestion by HP & MS was tried obver & over and they ask if I tried.
    How about re-cover by my DVD, REcover by HP DVD sent to me.

Freezes w/o anything but factory system

ALL Drivers, Safe boot, cover removed (HP suggestion, heat)

The thing is HP doesn't support these systems.
    Their support is to get you into a re-install, recover, safe boot bla bla...until warranty is up.

Have ON_SITE service $169.00 They won't come.
    GET THIS , they say they never really come to dsend PC to get serviced.
    I said return my money!
    I woukdn't have bought system without it (as do for my DELL systems)

They admit I have contract but said they just don't come, they send parts.
    Don't get extended service it's a rip-off.

I can suggest you to have forum discussion:

Windows Vista Freezes randomly

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/898842.htm
    hope it gives some idea to you.

A Complaint is a Gift:
    Recovering Customer Loyalty When Things Go Wrong

by Janelle Barlow and Claus Moller
    Published by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

I
    t has been over ten years since the first edition of "
    A Complaint Is a Gift"
    was published.
    It’s embarrassing to admit that we naively believed poorly handled complaints would be a thing of the past as a result of the widespread distribution the original edition enjoyed.

We heard a number of “wow” examples, such as a medical supply company in Kiev, Ukraine, that completely reorganized its approach to complaint handling based solely on the contents of the Russian-translated version.

With examples like this from around the world, we assumed we’d soon be able to stop talking about complaints even though we would miss that. Complaints are a fun topic for speeches. Stories about poorly handled complaints arouse a great deal of eye rolling and tongue clucking.

We thought everyone would have understood that complaints are gifs.

It didn’t happen. In a 2006 survey of 3,200 U.S. and European consumers,

86 percent of respondents said their “trust in corporations has declined in the past five years.

In 2007, Right Now Technologies reported that after suffering a negative service experience,80 percent of U.S. adults decided to never go back to that company

74 percent registered a complaint or told others

47 percent swore or shouted

29 percent reported they got a headache, felt their chest tighten, or cried

13 percent fought back by posting a negative online review or blog comment

-palm32

If it's freezing up solid, with no BSOD or ability to recover without reset or power off, then its most likely a hardware issue.

FIRST, download and install a program such as SpeedFan to monitor temps on the CPU/motherboard sensors. If any sensors are reading high than you have an overheating issue causing the freezes.

SECOND, if possible, plug the PC into either a line conditioner or a battery backup to regulate the A/C power. Dirty power can cause freezing too.

THIRD, disconnect all peripherals (CD/DVD roms and burners, tape drives, external drives, extra USB devices, etc). I've seen USB devices hard freeze computers due to not enough power on the USB bus, crappy USB implementations, etc). Again, do one at a time and test to try to isolate the cause of the freezes.

FOURTH, are there any add-on cards in the system you can temporarily remove OR is everthing integrated on the motherboard? If so, remove them one by one and test till it freezes again. If it stays stabile, you've found your culprit. (On the same note, make sure all installed cards are seated properly. Cards can easily pull out of their slots and cause shorted connections which will also lead to freezing.)

FIFTH, remove additional memory sticks. The computer will run on one stick of memory. Remove all but one, see if it freezes. If so, swap with a different stick and try again. Cycle thru all of them and see if the freezing goes away with certain sticks removed. (Typically bad memory causes blue screens over hard freezes.) BE CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING, THEY ONLY INSTALL IN ONE DIRECTION. DON'T FORCE THEM.

SIXTH, disconnect the computer from power and pull the little battery off the motherboard. Leave it disconnected for about 2 minutes and reconnect. I've seen computers do some WIERD stuff when the BIOS settings get wacky. And it can contine thru power ups / power offs.

LAST.........have to start swapping bigger parts. See if you can bum a power supply off a friend. Swap that in temporarily. If you still are freezing then you only got the CPU or motherboard left.....I wouldn't recommend swapping processors if you aren't fairly technical. You can easily damage or destroy CPU and/or motherboard.

---------------------------------------

Alternatively, ship it back to them and let them keep it till they fix it. It ain't doing you no good to have a broken PC so let them keep it for awhile. That sucks that they won't send someone out, but a "freezing" problem is probably the worst to diagnose.

If you've already done everything listed here, then keep asking for a manager or the next level of support till you get someone who will listen. Otherwise, Ebay.com.

DigitalPrimate,

The best response from anyone on this site and any other site.
    We think alike!

Have UPS, same ones I install in all my clients. (Not one HP tech asked about AC source)
    Removed side cover put small fan near it.
    MS suspects Bios. (MS has had a tech on this anytime I need it)
    (MS can't replace PC though)
    First let me say what the latest is. (Twilight Zone Music).
    After threats, HP scheduled a service tech (IN-House). Priority (been 10 days).
    Receive FeDeX, large box (EMPTY). 2 days later receive Power supply.
    Tech calls yesterday to ask if I received mother board, I told him it was empy box.
    He called HP to express some of what I said, could be HD, memory, temp..
    wanted all equipment.

They (HP) emailed me and said they new the box was empty and should receive it (SAT.) (Didn't arrive.)

During my hours of discussion with HP and all the diagnostics and their insistance on re-installing and having me do the test over and over, I tried to explain that the only way was to to Isolate & Eliminate.
    Asked HP tech to bring memory or remove some, he was thinking the same as us.
    Why don't I want to send it back? Because I would never had bought it without In-house service.
    I have it for all my Dell systems and my clients, never had a problem getting quick response or outright refusal to replace or repair.
    My clients don't tolerate this from me why should I tolerate from HP.

This message alert to email came as I'm on Start64 site looking at SpeedFan.
    Interesting.
    Thank you.
    I'll let you know status.

To Baltazar. Your system repair tool sucks. It's another one of those "free trials" that scans your computer, discovers a gazillion errors, and then tells you that you have to pay them a bunch of money to fix the errors. What a sleazy way to promote your company. Shame on you.