Thread: VMware ESXi4.1U1 unable to recognize NIC2 (82579)

VMware ESXi4.1U1 unable to recognize NIC2 (82579)

I recently purchased a new server that uses Intel R1304BT S1200BTL motherboard. I loaded VMware ESXi4.1U1 and recognizes NIC1 (82574L), but does not recognize NIC2 (82 579). Is there a way to get to work with VMware ESXi NIC2? I've run diagnostics (everything goes) and updated the firmware to the last 24, 1.05; 11, but no luck in NIC2.

Re: VMware ESXi4.1U1 unable to recognize NIC2 (82579)

I appreciate your idea of using network card to work with VMware. I read through some of the posts on this topic. Is there a particular message you feel is reliable instructions on step by step process to get this installed? I'm a little concerned about whether the implementation of a custom solution like this update cause any future problem, such as VMware code to new versions. Any ideas on this? I like to see a compatible solution that comes from VMware and Intel, but is not sure how the waiting time may be why.

In my opinion the official VMware support will come with the next major update, which could be 5 vSphere, the rumors seem to indicate that it launched in late Q4 2011 Q3/early. It is also possible to release an executive driver update before. As for using the driver for my order, should have no problems with upgrades of VMware, but of course everything is provided AS IS. ESXi 4.1u1 were designed with in mind but have proved to work smoothly grain 4.0/4.1 ESXi. The driver is built from (the last at the moment) the official source code E1000, with the changes exactly the same as what VMware also has a more minor issue to get to play all together very well.

It comes down to this; any updates that break the custom driver would break the riders as well. That would mean that the riders would have to be updated at the same time updating VMware, and hope that in this case, with additional support from the NIC. As for the injection of OEM.tgz, there are many ways depending on how you want, but the easiest way for you (and the way they did) because they already have it installed and at least one card network of would just copy the file across.

Just follow the below ways as I recommend:
    1. Enable "Tech Support Mode(SSH)" on ESXi host.
    2. Login to the ESXi host using SCP(WinSCP is what program I used).
    3. Delete the OEM.tgz in both /bootbank and /altbootbank.
    4. Copy/Upload custom driver OEM.tgz to both /bootbank and /altbootbank
    5. Reboot ESXi host.
    6. Remember to disable "Tech Support Mode

To use the custom file OEM.tgz otherwise, or if you need to make your own OEM.tgz:
    • ISO installation - Create an ISO file with user files
    • USB Installation - Create a USB key bootale as VMWare ESXi installer with user files
    • USB Boot - Install VMware ESXi on a USB key
    • USB without installation of user files - Create a USB installer for VMWare ESXi without custom.
    • USB boot without the user's files - Create a USB memory directly from the ISO VMWare

I have an Intel S1200BTL and Intel 82579 network card is not shown. Any idea how I can get it to work with U1 vSphere 4.1 standard? I tried to follow the instructions oem.tgz ESXi using the file, but could not come to work. Apparently, the driver installation process would be different for the full version of vSphere. My support for VMware is expired so it cannot contact them.