Thread: How to locate the name of the computer or DNS name to activate "credential manager"

How to locate the name of the computer or DNS name to activate "credential manager"

I have Dell Inspiron laptop with a Windows 7 operating system and attempting to activate the "Credential Manager" application from the "Control Panel”. I do not recognize how to set the name of the workstation on the network that I would like to access. I do not make out what a NetBIOS name or else a Domain Name System (DNS) name is. For workstation name I enter the website of the group which I am attempting to access, that is, asdfexpress.com. But I still have to manually enter the name and password. Please let me know if you have any idea about this.

Re: How to locate the name of the computer or DNS name to activate "credential manager"

I would like to know whether you are log in as administrator. You can attempt to log on to the PC in Safe Mode through Networking as well as verify if credential manager works well. After booting your system in safe mode via networking I think that you will not have this issue. Please let me know the result.Hope this information is useful.

Re: How to locate the name of the computer or DNS name to activate "credential manager"

Yes, I am logged on as the administrator. The trouble is that I do not make out where to get the NetBIOS or else the Domain Name System (DNS) name of the PC on the network that I desire to access. Such as, per order #4, I enter the name of website which I wish to access: asdfexpress. Com. I after that enter the user name as well as password and click "OK". On the other hand, when I access the asdfexpress website, I still need to enter the username manually as there is no suggestion to automatic logon from "Credential Manager. Tell me if I am doing any mistakes.

I too have this issue. At what time I got this PC, the "Credentials Manager" logo was component of a "tray" which was displayed on my screen. By some means, I mislaid that tray and do not recognize how to recover it. I had filled in more than a few websites to that "Credential Manager" logo earlier than it vanished as well as the process worked extremely fine. If you make out how to recover that whole tray, it may resolve the trouble that I am having.

You can follow the below instruction to manage Credentials in Windows 7:
    1. Go to start menu and open control.
    2. from control panel click to open Credential Manager.
    3. Now Click Add a Windows credential.
    Type URL of the website that you want to access in the Resource box. Type the user name and password that you use for that website in the User name and Password boxes you be able to carry out actions like Edit/Remove the credential from the vault at any time.

Thanks for your suggestion. I am still having problem by means of the automatic logon method in the credential manager application. Does anybody be familiar with what a "NetBIOS" or else a " Domain Name System (DNS) " name is, and if so, where do I get it to enter into the "Internet or Network Address". I still have to manually provide the user name and password. Moreover, at what time I enter the entire name for the website, I get an error message.