Thread: Sharing files between Windows and Mac OSx

Sharing files between Windows and Mac OSx

I was having Mac computer on which I was having Microsoft windows XP operating system installed. Last week only I have installed Mac OSx operating system on another drive of my Mac system. I am having files on my Mac OSx operating system and I want to share those files with my windows operating system. I am also having software named as “bootcamp” which will enable us to share these files but I am unaware of the steps to perform it. I need a solution through which I can troubleshoot this problem and share files successfully.

Re: Sharing files between Windows and Mac OSx

No, you cannot use the “bootcamp” software for sharing files. Bootcamp software is used for mainly for running multiple operating systems on a single system. Bootcamp software is also used for partitioning the hard drive. If you want to share files then you can share it by network. You need to configure the network settings and after configuring you can share files between both of these operating system.

Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution I have understood that I cannot use the “bootcamp” software for sharing files. I want to share my Mac OSx folder on windows operating system and therefore I need a solution through which I can share it. Also I am getting error code 39 which displays message that “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware” and therefore I need a solution through which I can troubleshoot this problem.

You can share Mac OSx folder on window platform very easily. By making use of Mac computer which are running on new Intel processor sharing of files is easier. The steps to share folder Mac OSx on windows platform are given below:
    1. You need to select “System Preferences” from the control panel and then click on sharing button.
    2. You need to click on the file sharing checkbox and then select “option” button. In the option window you need to click on the “Share files and folders using SMB”.
    3. Now you need to select the folder which you want to share. If you want to add more folder then you need to click on “+” and then add the folders. After selecting the folder click on the add button.
    4. Now you need to select the user between whom you want to share the folders. You need to type username and password respective to each user. Now you can set permission for folder and window user can now access Mac OSx folder.

If you are getting error code 39 which is displaying “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware” error message then there might be problem with the driver. You can resolve this error by following the steps given below:
    • You need to start the system and find the driver which gives you error code 39 by going into the device manager.
    • You need to select the device and then right click and select properties. In the properties window any error with your device if present will be displayed.
    • If the driver displays error message then you need to uninstall that driver and restart the system.
    • After the system restarts, you can reinstall the driver again. After reinstalling the driver error code 39 will be resolved immediately.