Thread: workgroup switch problem

workgroup switch problem

I buy a Linksys8 port workgroup which switch by mishap. I will misplace cash on delivery if I return it. So what is this thing used for especially? I have read many things about improving network speed. Does it mean that web pages will open quicker? I got it really thought that it was an 8 port router I think I am incorrect about that. Can I make use of it to attach a printer so each computer which is connected to the router can use that printer? I want some help what this fixation is used for and how it can advantage my system. Now we have 5 PCs enthusiastic to 2 routers which are connected to every other.

Re: workgroup switch problem

Routers and Switches are similar and dissimilar. Switches normally block crashes whereas routers pass them, routers block transmit even as switches pass them. Other than that they can be seemed at as parallel, and we don't require getting too technical. Because you already contain a router configured to get you out to the network I don't find any trouble using the switch. Here I am speculating why this many routers and switches for so a small number of computers and printers…..

It’s like you have buy the right and accurate item. A switch is naturally used in your case. In general, you will use a router to connect unusual or dissimilar networks. Thus maybe in your case, a router would be used as the tool or device which interfaces with your network service provider. A switch is after that used on your inner network as it talks only to the computer it requires to talk to. Therefore, creating it earlier than a hub. A hub will talk to each and every computer and the receiving computers only have to pay attention for when their name is called, creating for a set of unnecessary traffic. If your printer has an Ethernet you can plug it into the switch and each computer will be able to access it. You most likely require having a sensible understanding of computers to do this.

I feel you may require returning it. You are not able to connect to the internet through a switch without a server, so you may have to get a router. Switches, on the other hand, still don't have the speed problems that hubs do, so you are every one set there. If you have a computer which is forever on, you can assign it as the gateway computer, which will proceed as a gateway to the internet. You will require either a modem which supports USB connections OR a dual Network Interface Card LAN adapter. After that, you can plug the switch into the gateway computer, and the modem into the gateway computer. You can also make use of an existing router, and place the new switch wherever the router was. Basically, you necessitate a server, router, or a gateway computer connected to the modem. You cannot apply the switch for that.