Thread: File share between Leopard - Vista

File share between Leopard - Vista

Hello people,

I have a file of 6GB I like my Mac to my PC wants to convey. I only did this storage capacity. So I do this through LAN.

But if I go to Network in Windows I see only one other PC in the LAN connection but not my Mac ..

Both machines can ping each other. Mac was always before me on the left in the finder to see all shares but I never get more.

Who knows how I can share files between Leopard and Vista?
    thank you

Re: File share between Leopard - Vista

Do you have File Sharing turned on in System Preferences? and going Through a messenger or an FTP server?

For vista, there's a security issue that blocks sharing with macs. It'll detect the computer but won't let you log into it. It'll say over and over again that the password/user name is incorrect. To bypass this, in Vista do the following:

Goto Control Panel > Administration Tools > Local Security Policy

Here, in the Local Policy > Security Policy, search for "Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level". Double click that, change the setting to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session if negotiated"

This would let you access when you type in the password/user name. To enable sharing in OSX, its in the system perferences.

To map a network drive, goto my computer, and should be an option "Map A Network Drive" at the top. Click it, the link should be \\COMPUTERNAME\SHAREDFOLDERNAME (ex. \\MacBook\Public). To find the computer name, its also in the "Sharing" preferences in OSX

Edit: I noticed you know about the security block. For the gpedit.msc, its available, just type it in the "Search" box in the start menu.

Edit2: Its not hard. Its not time consuming either. Its pretty simple once you learn it. I take less then a minute to map a network drive sharing my entire home folder from my macbook to boot camp and my desktop. Network drive is possibly the easiest method. You could try to navigate through the "Network Places" to find the folder/share but it doesn't work every time in my experience.

i think you should red this first
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1812

The problem with your method is that it requires higher level versions of Vista. I've found that Home, and Home premium do not even include the "Local Policy" app that your post mentions.

Goto Control Panel > Administration Tools > Local Security Policy (this file may does not exist)

to fix this, you need to edit the registry,

1. Start > "regedit"
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Lsa
    3. Change the "LmCompatibilityLevel" to "1" (my default was 3)
    4. Reboot the computer
    5. Network Drive should work with Windows/Mac now.