Thread: DNS zone for personal mail server

DNS zone for personal mail server

Hi

I contacted support OVH-mail to help me configure my DNS zone file to test the mail server that I have here in my home.
    I have a dynamic IP, I then created a login DynHOST and so I have a line like this:

FIELD ................................... Type ........................ Target
    . domaine =========> DYNHost =======> IP_
    ====> webmail.domaine MX1 =========> dyn.domaine

However I can send mail to the outside from my LAN but can not answer me ...
    What should I change?

Thank you

Re: DNS zone for personal mail server

Configuration is handled through a DNS (Domain Name System) zone file. If you do not know, when you type a domain name into a web browser, or you send an email, software on the internet translates your request into an internet address using DNS, a distributed Internet directory service. Domain names exist strictly to help make the internet more human readable. However, internet technology uses four part “dotted IP” or “decimal IP” addresses, for example, 1.1.1.1 to uniquely identify devices connected to the internet.

The DNS zone file itself is simply a list of configuration settings in a specified order and format. When someone requests a translation of a domain name into an internet address, the DNS zone file is searched to retrieve the correct address. Translations are either forward (from a domain name to an internet address) or reverse (from an internet address to a domain name).

The core of the DNS file is a record type with their own settings. Here are the key record types most non-technical people will encounter when they configure their website and email addresses:

From the outside, your TCP port 25 is available with certain tests or scans port..In your router, did you forward port 25 incoming from the Internet, to your SMTP server on your LAN?

to see if the DNS works is the dns server in your ipconf and ping domain

If it responds that there is something else and that your DNS works

Try another trick:

To check that your DNS zone file is configured properly, you can use a service like DNSReport. This free service checks your current zone file and reports back on a variety of issues with Pass, Warn, and Fail status for each issue. It tests your mail connection and lets you know if your MX and A record(s) are configured properly. If they’re not, you’ll get a red Fail status which means you need to go back to the Web Host Manager interface to fix the problem.

If you do not have access to Web Host Manager or similar tool, ask your webhosting vendor if they have a tool you can use. Otherwise, they have access to your DNS zone file and changes must be made through them. A domain registration service like Enom, however, does allow you to maintain part of your DNS zone file separate from your webhosting service (although you may need to work with your webhosting vendor to ensure the Enom and your webhosting zone files work together).