Thread: Bootable Antivirus CD?

Bootable Antivirus CD?

I've been called out a lot lately to clean up infected systems

I'm experimenting with making different AntiVirus boot CD to find which will work the best with Windows FAT32 & NTFS systems. And is easy to keep the signatures updated. Basically I make a DOS Boot CD with the AntiVirus command line scanners....with a menu for FAT32 & NTFS The NTFS option loads NTFSPRO then runs the scanner. F-Prot works OK in both systems. Norton's NAVDX.EXE works great on FAT32 but halfway through NTFS it dies with errors. I'm downloading AntiVir now to try their command line scanner AVE32.EXE. Any other command line scanners you can suggest, or help & advice will be appreciated.

Re: Bootable Antivirus CD?

Good to know. What does ntfspro run these days?

my question would be as to whether {xt} has used F-prot to actually fix, or remove a virus in this fashion. Scanning for a virus using an NTFS-aware boot disk is one thing, but removal is another, because that requires writing to the NTFS partition using the DOS NTFS driver. Something I'm a little leery about doing to a customer's system.

As my original post said, I'm only experimenting at this stage to try and create a boot AntiVirus CD that will work. Tested with the EICAR test virus I normally remove the worm manually The aim is if someone has a problem I can boot from a CD in front of them to test it before attempting to load windows to make sure they haven't just stuffed up something and waste time by taking their word that they haven't done anything To be honest I don't have a lot of faith in running it from DOS on NTFS at this stage as a poster told me in another group that there's a problem if the user has a path statement longer than 64 characters in NTFS. I'm open to any ideas.