Thread: is i5 core and i7core is compatible with windows xp

is i5 core and i7core is compatible with windows xp

I m currently planning to buy Intel core i5 or Intel core i7 processor at my home. I already have Pentium 4 at my home but I need the advance one speed up the computer performance. But at the same time I need to setup windows xp inside the new processor. So I don’t what to do so anyone have the suggestion for this post then please me for this post.

Re: is i5 core and i7core is compatible with windows xp

Yeah Intel core i5 as well as Intel core i7 are totally compatible with windows xp I don't find that it any necessary to install the windows xp on such an advance processor. I too suggest you to install the windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit. Is there any particular reason to install this windows xp on your new computer? Let give a try to windows 7 and it will not give any problem with the performance.

I need to install the windows xp not for the performance but I need it for the software which I have in older pc. Because most of the software are of older version for the windows xp are not compatible with the windows 7 or windows vista. And I cannot able to find update version for this softwares. And it is quite cheaper than the newest version of the windows. So I need to install the windows xp on this new processor.

I would not suggest using Microsoft Windows XP with a intel Core i3 as well as intel i7 machine. Windows XP Home is simply for single core CPUs. Windows XP Professional has SMP, which can recognize numerous CPUs. But windows XP was launched in the year 2001, and back then multi-core didn't stay alive, only multi-socket CPUs . Windows 7 would recognize and correctly use multi-core CPUs. Why would anybody make use of a 2001 operating system with a 2010 CPU?

I'm planning on getting an i5 3570k z77 system and installing my 10 year old Win Me OS + an upgrade to XP. What's the worst that will happen - will it recognise only a bit of the 4GB RAM stick? I can upgrade/update to Win 64-bit later cant I?

Quote Originally Posted by Rovit44 View Post
    I'm planning on getting an i5 3570k z77 system and installing my 10 year old Win Me OS + an upgrade to XP. What's the worst that will happen - will it recognise only a bit of the 4GB RAM stick? I can upgrade/update to Win 64-bit later cant I?
    Well, there is no problem installing windows xp on a i5 core processor. But since, you have mentioned you are only upgrading a ten year old pc with a new processor then, are you sure that the motherboard that you have is compatible with i5 core processor? And you need to check the motherboard manual to find out how much ram i can support. And you can easily upgrade to Windows 64 bit anytime you want, but let us know what is the mobo that you have?

Quote Originally Posted by t.j. View Post
    there is no problem installing windows xp on a i5 core processor.
    is the answer I wanted to hear
    Quote Originally Posted by t.j. View Post
    And you can easily upgrade to Windows 64 bit anytime you want
    ditto

I am replacing a 10 year old PC. The spec of the PC I am looking at is:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Loki SD-S963
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333mhz (1x 4GB)
    Hard Drive: Corsair 60GB Force3 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s or a 500GB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s HDD (not both)
    Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
    Graphics card: Onboard
    Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
    Case: EZCool Mesh ATX
    PSU: 400W Xigmatek
    3 Year Warranty

so my plan is to get this and add things over the next 10 years or so. I'll save data to an external disk/archive to DVDs. Once the warranty is up I'll add other internal disks, bigger PSU maybe, graphics card etc. if I haven't already done so

So I want to use my existing Win Me OS and my existing Win XP upgrade disks (both retail versions) for as long as XP is supported - April 2014. Because they are 32 bit OS's, will there be any problem using 1x4GB stick of RAM when 32 bit systems cant recognise more than 3GB? Will it treat the stick as 3GB happily until I upgrade at some time to a 64-bit system?