Thread: Installing GPU drivers with Envy

Installing GPU drivers with Envy

Hi,
    I have a Nvidia Graphic card which I purchased newly in second hand. I want to add this to my Linux Desktop Pc for games. Now I am searching for a easy way to install the drivers of GPU. I am not ware of installing the drivers manually. Anyhow I had copied the driver files to a directory. Now on internet I had found a tool called Envy to install the driver. How to use this.

Re: Installing GPU drivers with Envy

The problem is familiar to users of GNU / Linux in installing a proprietary video driver is unfortunately not always easy. Fortunately, there to Envy, a small program written in Python that will help you install the driver owner for your graphics card and edit xorg.conf. You can use Envy for that which is quiet easy to use. Just install it and run the program to update drivers.

Envy is a new program for GNU / Linux, and is presented as a package. Deb. It is therefore compatible with Debian, Ubuntu and their derivatives like Linux Mint, for example. You can download the program at the site of the author. Once downloaded, make sure you have enabled the Universe and Multiverse repositories in your sources.list. For that, you can check it manually or using the Synaptic package manager. This practice will install the dependencies of Envy at the same time as the program and thus avoid some unpleasantness a few minutes.

Once you download the tool then just right click on the package Envy proudly enthroned on your desktop and choose Install. Once the installation completed, Envy will be available in the Applications menu. At first launch, Envy will check if everything is ok in terms of dependencies. If necessary, a pop-up will warn you and offer to install the necessary files. Of course, her answer in the affirmative

That is right using Envy is quiet easy other than you will try to install the drivrer manually. I have a ATI graphic card. I had downloaded this tool. Once first screen you can see suggestion install options. Choose any of it and then click on Apply. You are done here. The tool will install appropriate drivers to your Linux directory. You must uninstall the driver that you installed via Envy when you upgrade your distro. For that, run the following command in a terminal - sudo envy - uninstall-all.

If you have already installed a driver in the past, Envy can also use uninstaller. Simply select the appropriate option and click Apply. Installing a new driver is nothing more complicated: Just choose the model (Nvidia or ATI) and let Envy do the job. Once your driver is installed, Envy will offer to update xorg.conf. Give Yes.