Thread: Make External Monitor Primary

Make External Monitor Primary

I have Compaq laptop with a broken screen and its connected to an external monitor. I cannot set my external monitor to Primary when using a laptop. The selection for "Make this monitor Primary" is always greyed out. Can anyone tell me how make my external screen the primary? Any one knows about it? Let me know the correct way of doing it. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Make External Monitor Primary

If your display adapter does not support this, then it's not going to happen. Yes, there are many that support dual external monitors, the question is how you want to do it? However,even with a docking station, you may find as I do with my tablet PC that the PC is still the primary display.

I'm assuming you are running Windows. Control Panels>Display, is there a way to drag the task bar to the other monitor? Don't have a PC at home to reference. Try to set your second monitor to primary and set your laptop monitor as secondary.

You need to click on the one marked 2 and make that one primary, or whichever one is the one that you're not currently clicking on. Right click and go to property. Go to the tab where you can set you resolution and stuff. Then click on the screen with the number 2. Check make this my primary(main) monitor and extend into desktop. You can also set that when you close the lid of the mbp so it doesn't go into sleep mode.