Thread: How to configure three monitor on a computer

How to configure three monitor on a computer

Yesterday i have visited a friends office where i saw a computer configured with three monitors. It really increases screen space and helps to dramatically increase productivity. I found it really effective and would like to make my computer like that as well. But frankly speaking i don't have any idea about setting three monitors on a single computer. I request you guys to please guide me of doing that.

Re: How to cinfigure three monitor on a computer

If you have a desktop computer and you want multiple monitors, your best bet is to buy an external monitor and a second video adapter that supports multiple monitors. Alternatively, you can upgrade your current video adapter with an adapter that can connect directly to multiple monitors. You can find such video adapters for less than $200 at most electronics stores—just make sure that it's compatible with your computer and has connectors that match the monitors you plan to use.

Here's a list of Supported Display Adapters for Multiple Monitors and Dualview.

• 3DFX Banshee
    • 3DFX Voodoo3, Voodoo4, Voodoo5
    • 3DLabs Permedia2, Permedia3
    • ATI Rage128, Rage128 AIW, Radeon
    • Intel I810
    • Matrox Millennium, Millennium II, Mystique, G100, G200, Productiva, G400, G450
    • Number Nine Imagine 128, Imagine128 v2, Revolution 3D, Revolution 4
    • Nvidia NV3 (Riva128)
    • Nvidia NV4, NV5 (TNT, TNT2, TNT2, TNT2 Ultra, TNT2 Vanta, TNT2 M64, Geforce, Geforce3)
    • SIS315

here is the complete guide of configuring three monitors on a single computer. Just go through this steps perfectly:-

• Buy the Monitors - If you have monitors or laptops sitting in a closet somewhere, you may be able to repurpose them. Don't expect to be able to use three CRTs on a desktop; the desk may not handle the extra weight.
      • Buy the same make and model if possible
      • Buy monitors that are the same size and have similar builds
      • Not necessary to buy the biggest monitor, since the expanded room on the windows will make work easier already

• Buy and Install the Graphics Cards - On many laptops and some desktops, a second output from the existing graphics card is already available, so you may need to just buy one additional card to make three monitors work.
      • Choose your graphics card based on your needs
      • If you're using a laptop, you may need just one PCMCIA video card
      • A second laptop can be wired into the system by simply networking it
      • Install the graphics cards into your main computer using the computer's instructions

• Set up the Monitors - Arrange the monitors on your desk and plug them into your main computer.
      • Set your main computer (with the keyboard) in the middle and arranged the others to parallel the screen on either side
      • It will be best to have both new monitors just to the left and right so that you can access the information by simply turning your head

• Configure the Monitors - Although you can use native Windows XP and Vista to set up multiple monitors, most websites including Microsoft suggest you configure the three monitors by using Ultramon.
      • Download and install Ultramon
      • Configure it to have separate task bars for each monitor and separate hotkeys for frequently-used tools

Source: mahalo

If you're a laptop user than you don't have the option of adding another video adapter, but your laptop might support using Dualview with an external monitor and the laptop's built-in display. If it does support Dualview, just do what I did: plug a monitor into the external VGA port of your laptop and turn on the Dualview feature of Windows XP. To turn on Dualview, follow these steps:
    • Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.

• In the DisplayProperties dialog box, click the Settings tab.

• Click the Display list and select your external monitor. If you do not see multiple monitors listed, your computer hardware may not support Dualview. You can still use MaxiVista to configure a second computer as an additional display, however.

• Select the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor option. Click Apply or OK.