Thread: BSNL: LW272 configuration settings on Ubuntu 10.04

BSNL: LW272 configuration settings on Ubuntu 10.04

I have the BSNL connection for me and that too via BSNL data card. Now I just want to know how I can have the Data Card configured so that it can be used in the same manner in the Ubuntu mode. Well the version of the Ubuntu that I am using at the very moment is the Ubuntu 10.04, and I think that it the latest one. I have the BSNL data card LW272 for me. On the desktop that I possess I have both the operating system viz. Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.4. Can you all please come up with something useful in the same matter? I will be really glad if you can come up with the same. Need your help desperately. Any help in the matter will be really appreciated.

Re: BSNL: LW272 configuration settings on Ubuntu 10.04

BSNL data card LW272, well in that case I think that you should ask for the help from the BSNL Tech Support. It is really wise that you go with the same and let us know what have they suggested you with. I am saying this since they have some special settings that can help you in configuring the same. You should really ask them so that you can have the proper set up done for the system. Well also make sure if it is running well in the Windows mode, if the system can detect the Modem. Hope that you will get the help from there soon. Looking for you to reply.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

I am of the opinion that you will not have any support from the tech support. If at all you are asking for the Windows then they might end up giving the proper solution but if you will ask them regarding the Ubuntu or Linux or anyother operating system then they all also find them helpless in helping you. I have never seen that happening on the Linux or the Ubuntu and hence I would suggest you to do some of the googling and see if you can find anything helpful. In the mean time we will also try to find out the solution and will post soon if I will get anything here.

I am also of the opinion that while configuring the Internet in the Ubuntu mode one usually finds difficulty and the difficulties keep on rising if the user is new to the different operating system environment. So I think that you are new to the Ubuntu environment and hence on the first go I would suggest you to have the WvDial. Download the WvDial and install it on the system. WvDial is basically a service that can lend a hand to you so that you can build a modem-based association with the Internet. Also it helps a lot if the other operating system is other Windows say some significant Linux distributions. Well download it and install the same and let me know in your next post.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

You have not mentioned if the thing is working in the Windows mode and hence I think I will start with the basic steps so that you can see if you have missed on something. Beginning with:
    1. If you just purchased the modem then let me tell you that SIM which you get from service center normally takes some time so that it can be activated.
    2. The drivers for the Data Card will be installed automatically in the system when the Data Card will be connected there.
    3. However there will be problem with the installation of the drivers if the operating system is not Windows
    4. Now in the Settings see for the choose UMTS/3G/WCDMA
    5. When you will select the above option then only the data card will select 3G network.
    6. Make correct selection for the 3G setting
    7. After the drivers gets installed and you have successfully done with the settings then simply restart the computer and then connect the data card.
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!

Follow the steps below and let us see if that helps you in setting the connection.
    • At the very first step select Applications, Accessories, Terminal
    • Then write sudo then leave a space and write wvdialconf
    • After that press Enter.
    • After that if the new modem is detected then write the configuration for the new modem to /etc/wvdial.conf.
    • Then again write sudo leave a space then write gedit again leave a space and then /etc/wvdial.conf , after that press Enter.
    • Check for the following and fill in the details that have been requested. Please keep the detail ready with you so that you will not waste your time there:
      • Modem Type should be Analog Modem
      • Phone should be *99#
      • ISDN should be 0
      • Username = ” What ever provided by BSNL”
      • Password = ” What ever provided by BSNL “
    • Now run the following command so that the connection can be established:
    • sudo leave a space wvdial and then press Enter.

Please have a look at the following topics and I am sure that they will help you to get the solution. Hope that you will be able to fetch the feasible solution. Here are the links just have a look at those and tell me if they really helped you: How to Configure BSNL Broadband connection on Ubuntu, BSNL broadband connection to ubuntu and BSNL data card settings for Ubuntu 10.04. I am of the opinion that you will find the last thread most useful. Please have a glance on them as they are related to your problem and have the solutions.