Thread: Hard drive not detected after power surge in Windows Vista

Hard drive not detected after power surge in Windows Vista

I was recently woking on my system when all of a sudden the power went off. Now when i try to restart the computer it says hard drive not found. can any body please help me. I am currently using another desktop to post this message. But i have a lot of personal data on that hard drive that i do not want to loose.Any help will be highly appreciated.

Re: Hard drive not detected after power surge in Windows Vista

Well , it might be that the power surge killed the hard drive , but you should get it checked with a technician before coming to any conclusion. Again there is no guarantee that you will get your data back.

Another way out of it is to get it serviced at one of those data recovery centers , but it is very very expensive. But given that the hard drive is dead , you seldom have any options.

Re: Hard drive not detected after power surge in Windows Vista

Alright. Before taking it to any technicians or these so-called 'expensive Data recovery centers' you might want to check it yourself. Its a simple procedure.Just remove the harddrive from the cabinet and stick it in a different cabinet which already has a working Hard drive and see if its detected in there as a secondary drive. If its detected, Good luck as you just saved yourself a couple hundred dollars. If it isn't still don't give up hope as there is still a probability that the data on your hard drive is corrupted but hard drive itself is okay. So on the same system open control panel and go to administrative services and open Computer management and double click storage.If you see the hard drive listed here then it mean that the hard drive is okay but the data is most probably gone.And if you don't see your Hard drive listed here.

Well ,needless to say you lost a couple hundred dollars you saved earlier.Let us know what you find out.